EXTERNAL FILTERS?

ChrisMack

I'm looking to buy an external filter, and was wondering what the more experienced fishkeepers recommend?

Everyone seems to mention Ehiem "Classics" as a good buy, do people agree, or are ther e other options that will do......

Critter Kingdom, here in Chch has some good savings on Jebo external bucket filters at the moment, has anyone had experience with these?

Better still...has anyone got one they want to give away! :lol:

Thanks for any help,

ChrisMack

I suggest you miss the Eheim 2229 wet/dry. We hare having major trouble with ours and all I can find is others saying the same thing but no one having the answer :cry: I gather other Eheims are well recommended.

My understanding is the price difference between brands has to do with the quality of the plastics used. The cheaper brands don't last as long or break more easily.

Having tried all sorts of filters over the years I have gone right off external canisters filters entirely. More trouble and expense than they are worth IMO!

AquaClears go well for years, it's easy to see when they need cleaning, and easy to clean as well.

I think the best cannister filter for the money is a fluval 403...Unfortunately you can't buy them new anymore, but they seem to be more reliable than 404s. Though, 404s are a lot easier to clean, mine seem to be really fussy, the water flow varies for seemingly no reason. BUT, I think in 2002 they were changed and are apparently a lot better. If you can find somewhere to get a 403, I'd suggest that. But a 404 with the newer motor is still probably one of the best for the money cannisters, even with its problems.

Though, that being said, I've been considering if I ever set up a new tank from scratch I might try something different, like a reverse undergravel filter powered by a couple Via Aqua 1300 powerheads or a sump setup.

We use Eheim Classics in all our aquariums (we operate an aquarium rental business). I personally know of these filters operating for over 20 years and usually the only problem you could expect is the occassional broken impellor. The other benefit of this filter is that you can internally plumb the aquarium rather than heve unsightly hoses everywhere.

Dissagree!

Ehiem are far and away the best and if you want a filter to last FOREVER then its no contest.

However it can be hard to justify the price of an Ehiem, especially when you may get 2 fluvals or 3 or 4 or 5 'jebo' or other 'kamakoosa' models :)

You can get spare parts for the Fluvals and they are a lot cheaper than the Ehiems, and often come with media too (the Ehiems don't come with any, well the ones i've brought don't). I own both and think if I had to buy another it would probably be a Fluval, half the price.

I would NOT buy the cheaper makes (again!). I've tried them several times, and you can ocasionaly find one thats been running for a while, but its less likley. Not many people with Ehiems parked up cause they don't go. Also the cheaper ones just don't always fit together well, rust, are made of brittle palstic, have poor seals etc. The Ehiems and FLuvals have been around for decades and they have their designs sorted.

This debate has raged many times but I think its fair to say that Ehiem are by far the best. Fluval are a 'top' brand but are the Toyota compared to the Lexus. The 'Jebo' and other Kamakoosa makes are the Hyundi & Lada. Built to be cheap not build to last. Parts will be hard to come buy, especially as importers change brands over and again to find cheaper prod0ucts or as tiwan companies change.

Cancel that last statement, Fluval are Toyota, Ehiem are gold plated BMWs with diamond encrusted mag wheels :D

Good luck

Pies

• 3 weeks later...

I think there is a lemon ratio with fluvals for every good one that goes and goes there are 7 lemons. I have a via aqua 650 el cheapo side by side with a fluval 404, the fluval constantly gunges up in the out-take hose it kinks at will, it stops pumping and if I am lucky only the flow rate drops. It has cost me around $100 in replacement parts in the past 12 months..it drives me nuts.

The VA is like the energiser bunny its keeps going and going and going and going

I use a sump for my Marine tank I would NEVER have it any other way. A sump has lots of advantages, lots.

However there are some disadvangaes too, and they all revolve around leaks. A sump system needs to be thought out completely, there are a million things that can go wrong, and if your not 100% smart with your design, then the concequences are enormous.

Sumps in freshwater however are a different story. I have been thinking about this for a while. The problem I see with freshwater is that sumps (typically) use some sort of weir, which takes water from the surface, but in freshwater its better to take water from down near the sand bed. The fish are smaller, which is tricky for the teeth of the weir. Also there are a lot of leaves etc floating about, which could easily flood the plumbing (also moss etc).

Then there is keeping the sump clean, as algae forms in the sump too (not as much a problem in saltwater). So slime buildup could be an issue.

A like the idea of a sumo for my next freshwater project, but I don't know if the risk is worth it.

Also sumps are more noisey, something to consider.

If anyone wants to build one I would be happy to help with the design.

Pies

I am using a Via Aqua 750, it is still running good, but if you wanna to good for a cannister filter you shouldn't under estimate the problems of primming, my one cause me 2 hours to priming it, therefore till now I still reluctant to stop and clean it.

Despite the water flow became slower and slower.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 'lil genio filter

got given by a friend because it made too much noise

reason - the auto primer, which was magnetically driven by the motor, had broken and was hitting the side of the case.

a few minutes later and it no longer primed but is quiet as a mouse.

problem with priming it after that was the sucking - takes about half an hour on a bad day, and this is a 400lph external with about 6l capacity!

and the taste of month old cannister filter water is.. well its toxic, i had to take a day off work.

arrives the fluval 404, purchased at cost price (www thanks to shawn, the rusty flatmate) and all i had to do to prime it was follow the instructions in the pamphlet - for some reason its the only way to get it going.

the thing i dislike about fluval is the hosing concept - with the 'u' shaped clips and the ribbed hose - definatly not ribbed for hightened pleasure! the things drive me insane, so off to the hardware store, and now it is being re-plumbed with... plumbing bits, but it goes together sooo much better now!