Algae

Aquarium Dude

Hi,

I have just set up a 450l tank, it has been set up for about a month and now has some plants in it. In the last 5 days I have had a really big problem with algae, I think its thread algae, it sorta hangs of the plants and gravel.

I just cant get rid of it, its taken over everything, I am vacuuming daily and am struggling and failing to keep it under control.

What should I do? :-? :-?

Do I need a co2 system to go with the 4x58 watt t8 tubes?

Should I get some algae eaters pronto?

Thanks

More plants will help, they will use up the excess nutrient that is feeding the algae.

A couple of small plecos would probably help keep it under control too, although they will just convert it to pleco poo :lol: At least thats easier to vacumn out.

Cheers

Ian

Do I need a co2 system to go with the 4x58 watt t8 tubes?

Should I get some algae eaters pronto?

Thanks

light and co2 would only add to the problem if u dont have enough plants so like Ianab said, more plants.

what are u doing with out a cleaning crew in ur tank? every tank should have a cleaning crew, start with BN.

tank is new so no fish yet

Think you should start with a couple of little bristlenose plecos then :D

They are small, hardy and peacefull.

Put them in there for a few weeks and let them clean up and cycle the filters for you.

Cheers

Ian

i was told they don't eat established hair algae. only new stuff. need flourish excel or something else to get rid of the old stuff. still need to get some more.

Ok thanks for the heads up :), i have only had them a week i'll try removing the affected leaves and see if that prevents it growing back

Ok thanks for the heads up :), i have only had them a week i'll try removing the affected leaves and see if that prevents it growing back

have you had a read of the post Blueandkim made in the "Aquatic Plants" section. very helpful post in the "black algae" thread.

Not sure what you mean with small?? 

Mine were over 20cm long last time I saw them...

Are you sure thats it's a bristlenose?

They should only grow to about about 12-15 cm or so. If it's a common pleco though, then it's still a baby :-?

Cheers

Ian

Are you sure thats it's a bristlenose?

They should only grow to about about 12-15 cm or so.

Yes I am very sure Ian.

I have had thousands of baby bristlenoses from them. They bought themselves several tanks and filters already :)

Come to think of it - must be my good organic homegrown menu I lay on for them :wink:

Yes I am very sure Ian.

I have had thousands of baby bristlenoses from them.

Cool... wonder if there is a world record for BN Catfish :D

I think they sometimes measure them minus the tail fin? Maybe thats the difference?

Anyway the tank in question was 400l, so he has room for a couple of bristlenoses anyway, even jumbo size ones. ;)

Cheers

Ian