terrapins and turtles ?? - tortoise availability ??

I know a Red Ear is a terrapin, but is the snake neck also, mine never seems to want to come out of the water, when I take it out for a while it normally just sits quietly till I put it back, never bitten me (or the dog), I know I could look it up but thought I would use this opportunity to get someone to blow the cobwebs off the keyboard.

Oh and p.s. Anyone have contacts for obtaining a tortoise ??? preferably a smaller type and one suitable for coldish winter conditions (Papakura south Auckland) we do get frosts but not too bad, but could keep inside if required (providing I can avoid telling the wife I have one till she realises it is not ceramic !!!)

I just thought terrapin was a fancy name for turtle lol :oops:

thats pretty much it these days.

terrapin were used to refer brackish turtles.

sliders is just a common name for the Trachemys family like cooter is to Pseudemys.

Oh and p.s. Anyone have contacts for obtaining a tortoise ??? preferably a smaller type and one suitable for coldish winter conditions (Papakura south Auckland) we do get frosts but not too bad, but could keep inside if required (providing I can avoid telling the wife I have one till she realises it is not ceramic !!!)

I'd also be interested to know too. Auckland zoo have some nice ones, and a heap of babies too. I remember seeing one for sale at jansens years ago, cant remember how much.

my original ideas were that a turtle stayed in the water all of the time except for laying eggs or similar like a green turtle in the sea, a terrapin could live in the water or on the land but would have a preference for water and like the red ears, could only eat in water, then the tortoise only lived on land like a galapagos tortoise I would imagine would die by drowning pretty quickly if placed in water deeper than it's body. Done a little investigation myself and even the experts seem to be undecided and various countries call tortoises turtles and visa versa, guess I will just keep to my original understanding - then at least I know what I am talking about and absolutely everyone else is wrong but I can put up with that hehehehehehehehehhe, guess it dos'ent matter to the animal what it is called as long as it is happy and fed and warm etc as the case may be, have a good one all you turtleites out there and give your opinions if you dare !!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tortoise??? any one have any?? you can pm me if you wish to keep it quiet. I had one when I was a youngster in Timaru many years ago and it was called a box tortoise far as I can remember, but it went into hibernation and never came out again, perhaps too cold in Timaru. Still very interested in obtaining one if they are still available