Aulonocara Stuartgranti Maleri

A.PROPHECY

There are different variants of the A. stuartgranti "maleri".. the ones that have come here are not listed as any particular variant.

Here is a link to cichlid forum species profile. But because they came in as no such variant, all we should label them as is A. stuartgranti "maleri"

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=3

In the past I have got two lots of Maleri (both lots from seperate consignments that came into suppliers)... I have kept them seperate, no good mixing them as the fact that there could always be a chance that lots coming in could be different variants. I have noticed that the difference might infact be right. I have a display male who is totally different to the usual sunshine looking peacock colouring. My guy has a fair bit of lilac in the body as well as the yellow. I swear by keeping them seperate, no good mixing.

Definately pays to keep the lines clean incase there is a chance that exporters are sending different variants, without having variant names sent one will never know what infact we do have, but it has been noticed that there seems to be two different colours. Still just label A. stuartgranti "maleri" (but sure we don't need to go there again) :lol:

Whispering Echos male in the Private Trade and Exchange section is definately different from my male that I mentioned above.

So if you buy a whole heap of Maleri on a new shipment, and see a few months down the track they are on the list again, I wouldn't recommend buying some more to add to your colony. I would play it safe. And if you buy keep them a seperate colony.

JMO 8)

The ones that are yellow are more than likely maleri golds. Same fish, very common here, plenty about. This is the old school name, proper variant not sure. But should be what is in NZ.

As for the red/orange ones. There are a few different types of those around. Old school & common. More than likely sunshine/orange peacocks.

I would say as a guess that is what you have. Old school versions of both are here, makes sense, especially if imported without variants.

If someone has pics of adults, I will have a look. Some peacock species are easy to ID. Some near impossible. No harm in trying.

Frenchy :D

Sunshines aren't usually that orange/red colour.

Looks very similar to eureka red & rubin reds. Hard to tell. Will do a little looking at wholesale list here {& chat to Brad, & one of his lacky's, keeps a few different peacocks} & compare when I get a chance.

If the yellows are a definate yellow colour, then they are 2 different types. Keep them separate. Maybe its best if the red ones have red added to the end of their name, may solve confusion down the track.

Anyone have a pic of them?{yellow ones}

Frenchy :D

The Yellow strain that I have is very much gold/yellow certainly different to the orangey/red that I passed on. I agree with Frenchy, definately keep them seperate as I noticed the differences a while back. Hence why I kept mine seperate.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have one "Maleri' male, got him ages ago- and he's ordinary, also some juvis from Malawinz growing. Colous are dfferent, but it's the body colour coming down the full length of the forehead to the mouth is where Malawinz are as they should be.The father of our fish is a beauty for sure!. But I guess it will be while before our market will warrant the importation of real A grade cichlids.