New fish tank

animal_lover

The water tests show the ammonia is up a little, normal for a tank thats cycling but that might be causing problems.

Change some of the water now (30% maybe), that will reduce the ammonia, and only feed them very lightly.

Good luck, hope you can get the tank cycled and running normally soon.

Cheers

Ian

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi hayley, dont worry about adjusting the ph, 7.2 is fine, more important that its stable.

try your best not to feed them much at all, and make sure all is getting eaten, uneaten food will quickly pollute your tank.

your tank will be cycled in about 2 or three weeks and things will get better.

unfortunately the guppys dont cope well with sudden changes, although will live happily in a range of temps/ph. stability is the key.

i would suggest some hardier fish if you have no luck with the guppys, maybe some danios, or maybe kribs, which i have found virtually indestructible

hope things get better for you :)

:bow: thanks dimebag I wont worry about adjusting the ph any more! :)

about an hour ago I bought 5 young Black Widow Tetras and ever since then the little guppy seems to be doing a lot better! :-? Also one of the fish the man at the shop gave me is really really fat and my mum and I think she is pregnant :D as she does not seem to be sick in any way, so now I have more questions on how to look after the pregnant female and her young! So here it goes:

1)How do I tell when she is going to drop her eggs?

2)Where do Black Widows drop their eggs?

3)How should I look after the eggs? (should I put the female in a breeding trap before she drops the eggs so that they wont be eaten?

4)What should I feed the fry when they are born (if they survive)?

I also have a question about how well the BWT and Guppies will get along as I have already caught one of my other female BWT chasing one of my guppies around (Im guessing to nip his tail!) :o

Thanks Hayley :bounce:

hey hayley, dont worry about breeding yet, at the moment you should first get your tank cycled. most tetras are egg scatterers, so they basically drop them wherever they are at the time. the breeding traps are mostly used for livebearers.

and yes i would say they would have a nip at the guppy tails.

i know you are new to all this but it pays to do a bit of research for yourself before buying new fish, either on here or google the name of the fish you are interested in. :)

dimebag I have done heaps research on all of the fish I am getting but most sites didnt really say alot about breeding of these fish so I thought I would just ask and I dont think I will worry about spawning right now like you said!!!

:D

Hayley :bounce:

Sorry to say it but getting some new fish whilst you are having problems with others is asking for more problems. you should have left the guppys in the tank until it was fully cycled, then worried about getting new fish. one thing at a time, and remember, patience is the key :wink:

With the new black widows in there, the ammonia will keep rising. Just make sure you do a 10-20% water change every 4-5 days and you should be fine.

Hope this helps

This page has a good write up on Black Widows, they should be OK as long as they dont start nipping the guppies.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/characins2/a/blackwidow.htm

Generaly you will want seperate tanks if you want to breed your fish.

There are some species that can breed in a community tank, but usually the eggs and fry get eaten by the other fish and/or the parents. Having a smaller tank you can put the breeding pair in, then remove, them after they lay eggs is best. (Or leave to raise their young depending on species)Then you can feed the baby fry with brineshrimp, fine dry food etc depending on species.

Guppies have to be the easiest to breed, along with other livebearers. Bristlenose catfish and Kribensis chiclids are other easy ones. But have a readup as they spawn in different ways and want different environments.

Ohh. this is my guppy tank.. they are VERY prolific :lol:

000_0842s.jpg

Cheers

Ian

P.S. NO MORE FISH untill your Ammonia and Nitrite read ZERO 8)

we are not trying to confuse u hayley, but you will find that different people have different ideas on things and the best thing to do is look at everyones point of view and pretty much do what works for you.

i definately agree with not buying any more fish until it cycles.

hope you have no more deaths and your tetras leave your guppys alone.

as ian said, if you want fish that are easy to breed, go for guppies or kribensis, both excellent to start with. :)

OMG

One of my guppies has had his tail nipped off :o so I have separated the 2 species by outting a largish container in the top of the tank with the guppies in it until I can get something sorted out! :( I may set up my other little tank and put the guppies in there or maybe I will have to give the tetras back! :roll: I didnt know the tetras would attack the guppies like this straight away! :oops: I feel so sorry for the poor guppies they are scared out of their little fins!!! :( Thought I would just tell you all that you were right and I will have to sort out the tetras in the morning!

Hayley :(

Sorry cant the fish I have bought have already bitten of the tails off my guppies :o so I dont want to risk any more long tailed fish but thenks for the offer anyway!

For the reason above I have put the guppies in my small tank but it has no heater so I just want to know whether they will survive in there or not!(Fingers-crossed) If they wont I dont know what I will do as I cant risk putting them in with with the widows again! Can I leave the guppies? If not what do I do?

Hayley

A L said:

I have recieved many messages but I just havent recieved any yesturday for some reason
]

This "might" be the [prob... as there is a limit on your mail box size.. and once it is full.. then you may not see any mail you might have.

Try cleaning some of the unwanted messages out... (you can save the important ones).. then see how it goes.

There "was" a small prob with the PM system last week... (See NZ Fishroom Website section).. but it is well sorted now,

Bill.