New fish tank

animal_lover

Thanks I had cleaned out the message box before the messages were sent but I still didnt get them! I will try to sort it out! :-?

I have bought a heater for the small tank that my now only one remaining guppy and he is doing fine and has eaten! I hope he will be OK! :D

Hayley :bounce:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am now officially guppyless! :( Unfortunately the amonia and nitrite shot up over night and I was unable to do a water change before I had to go to school so I came home to a dead guppy! :-? I am now going to focus my undivided attention to making sure my widows survive! I may not get the bristlenose this weekend if the amonia and nitrite are to high but the tank is beginning to get really dirty and there is lots of algae around so im hoping that things have balanced out by then so the bristlenoses can do their job! I will not be making the mistake of getting the fish if the tank is not ready! I have learnt the hard way! :oops: R.I.P Stripes , Little Red , Spot and Speedy! mY little guppy friends :cry:

Thought I would just tell you! Hayley

No more fish till the ammonia and nitrite are zero.

Dont worry about the algae, it might look yuck but it wont harm the fish, and when you do get a pleco in there, it will think it's Xmas. It will have everything cleaned up in a few days and you wont have to worry about feeding it untill it runs out of algae. :lol:

Sorry about the guppies tho :(

Ian

Thanks Ian I definately wont be getting any more fish until the amonia and nitrite settle down! I wasnt sure wether the algae would harm the fish or not but obviously it doesnt so I wont worry about it until I get some bristlenoses!

:D

Hayley :bounce:

My amonia and nitrite were on 0 in the weekend so I got my 2 bristlenose and 4 glass blood fin tetras! :) They are doing fine and I have not lost any of my fish since the guppies and I have told they may have died from a livebearers diasease I dont no the name of so I wont be getting any livebearers but if I do decide to it wont be for a couple of months! :(

If the water is OK I will be getting some more fish this weekend but I dont know which ones to get next! So I have 10neons, 2 baby angels and possibly a young siamese fighter(dont know coz the widows seem to like the taste of fins! :o ) So which ones next?

Hayley :bounce: :bounce:

hayleysphonepicturesincl-2.jpg

this pic? :wink:

Cheers

Ian

Ohh.. and it prolly doesn't matter about the neons / angels... but a decent school of Neons allways look cool. Angels can be fin nippers when they get bigger too, so maybe hold off on the fighter if you want to go that way.

The pic is of one of my baby bristlenose obviously thans ian for putting it on but I dont understand how you can get it on but I cant! :-?

I have heard about the angels making a snack of the neons but the angels will be very small when I get them and hopefully will be OK when they are bigger but if they are not they will take a while to get big enough anyway so hopefully they will be OK! :o

I really want to get the angels so I will have to talk to my parents and brother (hes the one that really wants the fighter!) but if they grow up together will they be OK? I also have my widows which I thought would be worse then the angels with the fin nipping! :-?

Thanks and sorry for yet more questions! :oops: Hayley :bounce:

• 2 weeks later...

OK so now I have 10 cardinal tetras, 6 glass bloodfin tetras, 2 baby bristlenose, 5 penguin tetras and 5 golden zebra danios! :)

The Widows are going to a new home tomorow! :D

Now the question is when I feed the fish all of the fish seem to get food but the Cardinals because they are quite shy and take ages to come out from the plants and eat and by that time the others have eaten all the food :( and if I put more in then the other fish eat that too but before they do that they push the cardinals out of the way (dont think on purpose just want food) so how do I make sure the cardinals get food? :-?

Any help appreciated :bow:

Thanks Hayley :bounce:

Yep, i agree with markoshark, just let the cardinals settle in, and once they get more familiar with their surroundings they will come out more and go looking for food..... most fish wont just hide and starve to death, they will look for food if they are hungry.... you never know, they are probably eating any left over food off the gravel once the lgihts are out and everyone else is asleep :wink: