Moving large tanks

puddles

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to move large tanks?

I have 2 large tanks, ones a 650 litre and the other one is 450 litre which have my Oscars in at present

We are moving up to Hamilton from Wellington and have to organise the shift of our many little tanks as well as these 2 large ones.

Now the little tanks aren't a prob coz we can lift them. The big tanks however are not so easy to lift. Actually we cant lift them at all.

Good question.

Last month we moved out six footer down a flight of stairs, involved some strong people and a fair bit of forethought.

In your case, it may be easier to move the tanks if they have a few bits of 4x2 underneath them, enabling people to hold onto the wood instead of the tank, with a person at the end steadying the tank. In all its a bit of a bugger and best avoided.

The fish of course can just be put in chillibins, will be fine for up to a day.

Thanks the 4x2 is an awesome idea!

We still have a small prob. There is only 2 of us moving it and we wouldn't be able to move it onto the wood to even shift it.

It was originally brought into the house by local movers. We would have the prob at the Hamilton end as well.

Any ideas?

Notify the clubs at both ends.

Most times you can find a few helpfuls.

A few beers don't go astray either.

But instead of 4x2's, use old seat-belts salvaged from wrecked cars.

You can twist them around your hand, with no fear of them slipping.

What is the footprint measurements.

I have handled a 6'er on my own just using saw horses and a piece of carpet to slide it on.

Steps?

A couple of 4x2's to form a ramp, and ditto onto the trailer.

I had a tank made from 3 doors from a bank (half inch tempered glass) and it weighed a heap. I moved it myself from in a fishhouse along a path and up a drive onto a trailer by myself, then unloaded it at the other end. The person I sold it to needed 6 large men to pick it up. It is not about strength it is about brainpower. I put down polystyrene and walked it on two corners, then moved the poly to the front again. Takes a few minutes but does save the back.

Hey guys,

I think Ill source out some 4x2 and padding see how that goes, that might be the best option as we have quite a few steps to maneuver. Polystrene option could be a plan too, will have to see how things go.

Some of my family is coming down to help now and we might be able to rope some of the UHAS into helping too.

It will be a interesting weekend and I think by the end of shifting beer and wine will be a must!

Thanks heaps for all the suggestions

Puddles

My hubby and his mate carried our 8fter into our house, and it has double bottom thickness 10mm also... and a fair hike in... I had my heart in my mouth... :o

The old typical "she'll be right" attitude :roll: :lol:

The more people the better if you can :D Good Luck and sending happy safe tank shifting vibes your way.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh the old seat belts are a great idea! You could use them the way they use those straps to lower a coffin into the ground. (Would still need 4 people though - one for each end of two straps.)

And the 4 x 2s and the damp teatowels to stop it slipping... another couple of great ideas!

I would like to add - a pair of gardening gloves. I have a pair with green rubbery palms and it makes it much easier to grip things - especially slippery glass.

Good luck!

The suckky cup things that glaziers use to move a pane of glass into place are great to stick to the bottom of the tank and then pull it up to get things under it as well. I used one at my old work that was kept for lifting the floor tiles in the server room one weekend and it was way easier then trying to rock the tank to slip something under.