Salt in a F/W tank??

Casper

ok, :D

was just having a look through some of the very early questions, and read something about ppl adding 1 tsp of rock salt to their tank..

im hoping i read this wrong but.. salt? in a freshwater tank?!?

what am i missing!!! :o

Rather than explain it myself, I've copied this from another fish forum that I visit:

1. Salt is something that helps under certain circumstances (injury, some infections), but only under medicinal doses, which are much higher than most aquarists would use as a "tonic".

2. Salt used at medicinal dosages will mess up the osmotic processes of (non brackish) freshwater fish over the long term, and should only be used for short periods (a few weeks at most) for treatment of specific conditions.

3. It really does not matter what salt you use. Table salt will work, even if it is iodized. The iodine concentrations in table salt will not be harmful to your fish over the short term.

4. Some fish, particularly scaleless fish are particularly sensitive to salt and special care should be taken when treating problems with these fish. Generally, the dosages will need to be lower.

5. "Tonic" dosages, in other words dosages much lower than medicinal dosages used continuously, will not benefit your fish, and can cause potential problems if you are not very careful about keeping up with your dosing schedule. Salt does not evaporate. The only way it leaves your tank is through water changes. Keeping salt levels constant requires knowledge, recordkeeping, and consistancy. For these reasons, I strongly recommend against its use as a tonic.

6. In most cases, your tap water has plenty of minerals/electrolytes/etc. for your fish.

Bottom line: unless you have brackish species, don't add salt to your water.