Otopharynx lithobates

Tropheus

Has anyone noticed two different variants of Otopharynx lithobates that are around. Their seems to be Zimbawe variant http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=2292

and Thumbi West variant http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=2293

Did anyone get to see the lists when they came in? And if there are two different variants I can bet that the females will get mixed up.

:(

Did anyone get to see the lists when they came in? And if there are two different variants I can bet that the females will get mixed up.

I had both. One lot came from a LFS in akld and another lot down the line.

Kept in different tanks as juv's but noticed that the males werent the same.

Have now sold the Thumbi look alikes and kept the Zimbawe with full yellow naps.

Here we go again :roll:

Chances are you just had 2 different qualities of the same line. Or the white blaze ones maybe are a cross with electric blues. I am sure someone in your parts saw the import lists. Most lithos in these parts of the world have the yellow blaze.

This link shows what one of the importers here has.

http://www.bayfish.com.au/category1_2.htm Over here they are just imported as "sulphur crest".... no location name. :roll: & we have silver torpedos.

But there are more than 2 variants as well,

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/detail.aspx?aid=578&cid=3780&search=

Frenchy :D

my male is exactly the same as the thumbi west one, the yellow blaze is very thin and only comes a little way down the forehead. these came from a shop so I don't think they are crossed. Mine are very different to the ones that OOA had a picture of.

Look how many different fish you have to use HFF - you guys are lucky :)

The comment earlier in the post to me suggest that people have lithos that have a whitish/yellow blaze rather than the strong yellow, that runs through the head.

Could be a chance that the white ones are a cross breed with electric blues, as it happens very easily & has already happened in NZ.

Or the whitish blaze could just be a yellow blaze litho of not so high a quality.

{IMO}

Frenchy :D

Yeap Frenchy is right and the last lot of Otos that came in I purchased some, looking really nice, I find the males take so long to develop colour, but that is just my findings, and as Frenchy said, alot don't come in with variant, and I saw the list and NO variant was stated.

I saw the O Lith of Tropheus and noticed that there was variation between females as well. Following are my observations:

The males without the blase were quite stout in build as were many of the females. The rest of the females were a lot slimer build.

As a comparison I would say the stout fish resembled a body shape like that of Stigmatochromis Modestus "Eastern" ( Ad Konnings book )

The slimer versions ressembled S Fryeri more.

Just my observation of the examples present.

My stock were of the slim profile with a very broad full nape male and the females were also slim. I presently have 24 young so I am looking forward to the results - fingers crossed.

OOA.

When I sold off my O.Lith (resembled to Thumbi West) I held back one female thinking I would add her to the full yellow blaze tank. But have held off. Reason being if I do mix her in, am I mixing variants? Have compared her to the other females and just cant seem to see any differance.

What to do?

:o

Tropheus

Did you get your Otos from the one shipment or did you buy from more than one lot that came in?

I will have to post some pics up of my guys, I have also bred some and have some holding.. the young have very much matched up to parents in build. Not sure on colouration however, as I didn't keep them on till maturity, might do with this next crop full and see where things go. My boys are beautifully conditioned, deep and full in the body. Females are slighter of course but I wouldn't say they are fine in build like fryeri type body.

Got my first lot about 6mths ago thru LFS up in akld. Few months later I went down to visit OOA and was taken back by the O.lith he had in this tank with the full yellow blaze. VERY NICE.

In Jan this year my brother headed down to Rotorua and advisedme that they have some nice looking cichlids. A male fish with a full yellow blaze to this nose and three spotted females to go with him. I knew straight away that had to be the O.lith and got him to buy them for me. So I guess you looking at about 8 months differance between the first and secound lot.

Yeah I am happy with what I have ended up with :)

So what lot were the finer body shaped, the Auckland lot or the Rotorua lot?

The Otos haven't been on the lists for a long time now, I will have to look back to when I purchased my ones, it would have been rather a LONG time ago now, I think they have been on the list a couple of times.. I got mine when they were first showing on the list, but pretty sure I had seen them on the list again at one stage, might get hubby to double check that one. So possibly two seperate shipments came in within a few months of each other.

Hard to say. The first lot came with 4 females. Two of the females grew alot larger then the other two. They where more rounded and where the first to spawn. Then the two littles ones ended up spawning months later but they still seemed alot smaller but just smaller versions of there sisters.

The females I have now which came with the full blaze resemble the smaller versions in statue only