Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Otopharynx lithobates

Featured Replies

Just to give you an example of whats doing here, probably the same scenario in NZ.

The ones that were imported here are just called sulphur crested.{Once again an old school name}

Having seen alot through the lfs etc, some have the full blaze through the head, some don't. Over here it is just a case of some are not of as good a quality as others. Its like so many species, especially the old lines, electric yellows, fronnies etc...... lithos {ie;sulphur crested lineage} have been around for a good number of years therefore variances in quality exist.

As a guess, if those in NZ were imported without a variant, they be the same lines as those here in Aussie.{ came via Asia}

The thing you have to watch is that litho's & electric blues cross easily. eg; If you ever see electric blues with the utaka spots, avoid like the plague.

Frenchy :D

have to agree with frenchy on that one. those litho/freyeri crosses do exist here.do study your fish before buying ,any sign of the spots (didnt know they were called utaka spots many thanks frenchy)please let the seller know(in a polite way of course) why you will not be purchacing their fish.

Afrikan has seen some dodgy ones.

Yeah Frenchy is right :) I have seen some with the spots, the imports that came in as the "Hap Ahli" had very much the Utaka spots.... look like litho x fryeri to me. Oh managed to get a pic of one to Frenchy, of the fish that came in as "Hap Ahli" (last consignment).. you will be gobsmacked when you see it, I just have to download it onto my computer when I find the cord.

The "Hap fryeri" that have recently come in tho are very nice :D No Utaka spots, nice clean bodies and good condition to.

Glenn (peanuts), you ended up with some Haps with the Utaka spots to didn't you? What looked like fryeri x lithos. But they weren't imports tho were they, someone had bred them?

the first lot i got were good clean fish, the second not so ,so they dont exist anymore!!.yep they were bred here.they had nice shape just those friggen spots down their sides.classic litho bothered me for ages just didnt look right.

african

wil we be gobsmacked in a good way?, or a bad way?

african

wil we be gobsmacked in a good way?, or a bad way?

In a bad way :-?

Good luck with the search. :lol:

:lol: Yeah Frenchy, I am chomping at the bit to find it, I am pretty sure I had it in my laptop bag, but I think it is one of those "put it away in a safe place" moments, so darn safe I just can't seem to find it in the places PC stuff is kept :roll: :lol: I have a few pics I want to upload, so tomorrow I am going to hopefully retrace the steps of the lil' ol' camera cord :lol: We are at this present time discarding of heaps of unwanted stuff and moving stuff around as we are wanting to redecorate the place, so everything is a little all over the place at the moment :roll:

Your ones look nice.

I think you are seeing things with the pic in the link. To me its a smudge on the body & a dot at the base.

Looks nothing like these now does it. Utaka spots look like these, huge difference.

http://www.pny.se/galleri_akvarie/pny_5377b600.jpg

Well you can compare them all here

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B2GGGL_enAU205AU206&q=Otopharynx%20lithobates%20%20%20&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Frenchy :D

Dan look under fryeri lumbaulo on the cichlid forum (don't know how to do the link) the juvi's are exactly like all the older ones that I've sold or kept ,I had my doubts for about half an hour one day ,nothing a good session on the net couldn't fix though. there are so many variants of the fryeri they don't all look the same either.cheers.

there are so many variants of the fryeri they don't all look the same either

More a case of most fryeri are old school. Especially those imported without variants.

Therefore variances in the species itself have just occurred naturally from being old lines.

Frenchy :D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.