New from Christchurch

Janelle

Hello everyone,

I joined after looking for fish clubs in NZ. I have two tanks, both of which I purchased second-hand off TradeMe. In fact, my first ever TradeMe purchase was three baby fish in a plastic fish bowl which have since been assimilated into my mum's collection and I can't tell if any of the ones still alive used to be mine.

My mum has kept goldfish all my life and so I just developed an interest for them. The difference is that my mum sees them solely as pretty things to collect and show off, I see them as pretty things which are alive and which I am responsible for giving the best care I can. Once I started researching proper goldfish care my mum's methods of keeping them suddenly seemed appalling to me and suddenly I understood why her fish keep dying and her tanks and ponds never stayed clean. To this day I cannot convince her to take better care of her goldfish or explain to her that keeping six pond-sized goldfish in a small (25-litres at a guess), poorly-filtered tank is cruel. I guess my fish ownership is somewhat a response to that, as if I can make up for her ignorance and neglect.

My large tank contains 72 litres of water, 1 little shubunkin (Edward Elric) and 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows. It's fairly new, not even a couple of months old, and the stocking casualties were 1 goldfish and 4 WCMM but the survivors look like they're doing extremely well. I change approximately 15% water twice a week to total the 30% and add 5 ml Stress-Zyme after the weekend change. Half the tank is plastic plants that came with it and half is planted with some live plants (and snails, unfortunately) from Animates.

My smaller tank I only got on the weekend so it's still empty and bare and sitting in my bedroom where it will probably stay. It is 22 litres and will (hopefully) eventually house a blue male betta which is what my boyfriend wants.

As well as my two tanks the other flatmate owns two tropical tanks, a 70 litre and a 40 litre approx. That makes three fish tanks lined up against one wall of the lounge!

I'm quite excited to meet others who share my interest in fish and to have access to advice from local people who know what I have and haven't got access to regarding brands, equipment and fish food, especially when it comes to owning my first tropical fish as I've only dealt with goldfish until now and even the WCMM are a new and exciting thing to me. Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome! I would love tanksful of healthy, breeding fish, it's going to be hard enough stopping at the two I have, but considering I'm renting one year at a time I'm not really looking forward to the possibility of moving multiple tanks from house to house annually.... House prices, go down already!

welcome to the forums and feel free to ask lots of questions. there are quite a few cold-water fish experts on here and we will also b willing to answer any question regarding figters. amongst other fish I own White cloud mountain minnows (and lots of babies!!! and a red male crowntail betta (siamese figter)

Thanks for the welcomes!

I intend to ask lots of questions because I really care for my fish, and all animals really, just ask my spoiled brat... I mean, cat. =) I don't think ignorance is a good excuse for treating an animal poorly if you have access to good info. Of course, the internet isn't necessarily good info so having real people give first-hand advice is much more preferable.

As for MTS, I'd say I've already been struck. I'm still looking at tanks on TradeMe! The idea of shifting half a dozen tanks every time I have to move is still a fairly sobering thought, though.

Welcome!

Christchurch is popping out fish addicts like mad!

I am trying to get a fish club up and running here in Chch.

Details of the next get-together are here.......

oh i see you have already seen that!!

You most certainly are welcome to come along! EVERYONE IS WELCOME!!

The more the merrier!

hi and welcome to the site

if you havent already i would go check out...

organism cnr ilam & clyde road

and reedwood aquatics i dont know the address but its near willobank (sp) :oops:

have fun looking round and hopefull see you at TT :D