March 12, 200719 yr comment_151728 I just introduced my two male Bristlenoses together with one of my females in a large tank. The question i have is, do they normally fight with one another? I have also noticed that their bristles are different too, one has straight bristles and the other had prong like things on the ends of them. Will they settle down and be ok together or should i keep them apart? Report
March 21, 200719 yr comment_153072 if the tank is big enough and they both have place to retreat to then they will settle down one they have established dominicy, most ppl separate them if it gets too ruff but i like to just let them fight it out Report
March 22, 200719 yr comment_153096 My BNs often fight but nothing serious, and usually over food. As said, as long as they have somewhere to get away from each other they should be fine. Report
March 22, 200719 yr comment_153155 Nothing serious she says. Well I had to intervene after one boy looked half dead after a "busy" night. He never was the same again though, so they do fight madly when adult. Better have one big boy and 2 or 3 girls together. Report
March 22, 200719 yr comment_153166 I would say it depends on size of tank ,space,territories etc.. :roll: Report
March 22, 200719 yr comment_153172 My tank is a 3.5 footer. So should have plenty of space with 4 flowerpots, 3 logs and plenty of plants - but no - they DID find each other rather quickly ... Report
March 22, 200719 yr comment_153204 I have had 2 male bristles fight over night once and this is in a densely planted and wooded up 5ft tank.. sadly the non dominant male was a bit worse for wear and passed on... Have never had this happen again between males, just the odd niggle but nothing serious. The rogue Bristle killer, is now on his own with 3 females :lol: :lol: Report
April 16, 200719 yr comment_157146 are two males ok together if the have a lady friend each? And can one male have two breeding mates? Report
April 16, 200719 yr comment_157171 I have a group of BNs and more males than females. All live very happily. Yes, a male BN can have more than one breeding mate. Report
April 16, 200719 yr comment_157174 The dominant male gets all the ladies, so I normally have 1 male per tank. Since the males look after the eggs, you get more eggs this way. Non-dominat male gets ignored, and I've noticed is the last to be allowed near food too. My dominant GBA would let the females eat, but the other male was only allowed in at the last moment. Report
April 16, 200719 yr comment_157182 Not necessarily true. I have two or even three males in the same tank with clutches of eggs at the same time. You just need enough space between the caves to allow the males to feel they have their own territory. Report
April 16, 200719 yr comment_157187 I don't have any males to fight.... good thing i spose Thought one was getting it's first bristles, but turned out to be a female with a bit of bum-fluff moustache :lol: Report
April 16, 200719 yr comment_157188 both the males in my tanks seem to like it in the overflow compartment, a rather confined space with no where to hide abd they get on fine. Doesn't help you at all but thought I'd share none the less Report
April 18, 200719 yr comment_157435 If you have a tank with just random sucker mouth catfish, will they eat each others eggs? or once they spawn are the eggs and fry pretty safe? cheers Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.