Sick Guppies (AGAIN!!!!??!!?!?!)

Ruthie

can anyone give me any tips as to how to liven my guppies up they are all hanging on the bottom of that tank and looking really sad (they had been swimming around and looking quite happy) even when I feed them??

I dont know what to do and after my last lot all died on me im quite worried its going to happen again - especially since my recent purchase of two gorgeous green diamond males (thanks caserole)

Any Ideas??

yep that's me.

Water quality is probably the reason.

I do daily 5% water changes so my water is clear as - no colouration at all.

If you haven't already, you could put salt in your water 1teaspoon/4 to 5lts live bearers prefer it.

If adding the salt it must be done over a couple of days as I don't know what else you have in the tank and replaced as a % each time you do a water change.

Yeah, the official recommendation is to rinse it in water taken from the fish tank (same temp, same pH etc). Using water thats too cold or too hot can kill the nitrifying bacteria causing an ammonia and (later) nitrite spike.

I use the tap, but make sure its similar to the tank temp, we've got one of those hot/cold mixers.

Anyway, if fresh water helped, that may be why, just an idea anywho.

Opps! Warning! Warning.

That is where you have made your mistake Ruthie.

When you clean your filter in tap water, the chlorine is what kills the "good bugs".

So as Spider says, wash it in the water that you have syphoned out.

IMO your tank is in an uncycled condition and the ammonia content is what is upsetting your fish,

it can go to the point of killing them.

But don't sweat, most of us have done the same, but we learn from it.

Have you any plants in your tank, if not, get some,

they are a good investment as long as you have reasonable lighting.

I have two filters one is one of the ones that sits on the side on the tank and like trickles like a water fall, and the other is like a jet type filter with a sponge thingy that i rinse, dont know what they are called....but hope that helps :oops:

If you wash the filters all the time the bacteria will not establish it self as your always washing it off + theres other factor like temp of tank water and tap water.

but as you have 2 filters and you only wash 1 then the other will be doing the job.

the 1 you wash is a power head.

If your water is then fine ( only way to know is test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate ) I still don't know what could be wrong.

Could it, being that these are fancy guppys that the water flow in the tank is tyeing them out - to much water movement??...

As that is a lot of filtration for a guppy tank, how big is the tank in cm's ( length = front, depth=front to back, hight =top to bottom)

Just a note: When Stu mentioned "Salt" he was talking about a special type of salt called "Tonic salt" which you get from the pet shop. This is not to be confused with "Table salt" "Rock salt" "Kelp salt" "Red Sea Salt" "Iodised salt" "Epsom salt" or any other type of salt.

[somebody else on here will hopefully jump in and explain exactly what "Tonic salt" is chemically. I read it on here somewhere ages ago but forgot.]