Planted Tank Substrates

lduncan

I've been toying with the idea of setting up a planted tank for a few months now, and I've taken the plunge and committed to a tank.

I've been out of the freshwater game for several years now, so my first question is about substrates. I think they can make or break a planted tank so, who has some opinions, recommendations, or thoughts on the various clay based substrate products like JBL's Aqua Basis Plus, and Red Sea's Flora Base?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would personally use Seachems Florite or laterlite, as both of them never need to be replaced. Bonus with florite is that if you overdose iron, rather than the iron staying in the water fuelling algae growth, the florite will absorb the excess and slowly realease it as iron as the iron in the water is used up.

Thanks. Is there any real difference between the different substrates? They are all clay based, and other than superficial grain size, shape, and colour they all seem much the same.

I've seen a lot of hype about ADA products, is it just that - hype? Or are there some real distinguishing features?

I use jbl aqua basis plus, and mixed with jbl floropol which is red clay.

All work great. i found you still have to add fertilisers, so i add seachem excel and flourish.

looking to hook up the dosing pump and dose daily.

Plants growing out of the tank.

Metal halides is also a big plus.

caserole is saying there is no point buying the JBL stuff to absorb the iron if you dont have undergravel heating.

I'm using Daltons Aquatic mix ($9.95 for 10Kg), I wasn't happy about the mess it creates when first setup but now that its cleared its fine and the plants love it, although now I have a cyano problem starting :roll: I'm guessing the JBL mixes for aquariums dont have the muddy water problems.

I'm using the Daltons Aquatic Mix and Daltons Propogating Sand in my tanks and have only had one muddy set up - didn't pour into a container and therefore disturbed the bottom of the tank. All the tanks are going great and my unrooted cuttings are taking off!

Well I ventured around almost all the shops today to see what substrates are available, and the answer seems to be disappointing. Almost none.

Organism was closed (being Tuesday) but I'm hoping John's got some there. (I know Redwoods does have a little)

Also, I haven't really payed too much attention to the freshwater / plant sections at the various shops for a while, but I was really disappointed with the low standard in virtually all the shops!

John at Organism would be the exception, he really has got things looking good there, a really high standard, in a league of it's own. It would be great to see other shops around town raise their standards to match.

This is going to be an Amazon biotope tank (that's the plan anyway), i'm only looking at two species of fish, cardinal tetras, and rummy nose tetras. I'm planning on large schools of both, and nothing else.

So, what amazon plants are available in NZ? I like the swords and crypts mainly. Are there any good plant sites where you can search by origin?

Layton

the crypts are not amazon.

Plants selection is pretty crap in NZ.

I started off with amazon plants and gave up and added a few craps. My tank is about 80% amazon plant species.

Who said you cant get discus to grow in a planted tank :D

My discus have grow so much during the past 2 months that i am really surprised how they are growing.

will post some pics in 5 mins