April 29, 200719 yr comment_159613 Did you read the link Caryl? It just mentioned them as "Potential Pests" and my comment was based on that link, though that admitingly was probably in warmer waters! Sorry to get your heckels up! 6 months ago I was given 8 and I now have more than 50 (and I'm not counting them) which seems like fairly quick breeding considering half were males. Report
April 29, 200719 yr comment_159627 does anyone have some down this way i would realy like to have some in my coldwater wcmm tank Report
April 29, 200719 yr comment_159643 6 months ago I was given 8 and I now have more than 50 (and I'm not counting them) which seems like fairly quick breeding considering half were males. So out of 4 females came 50 babies in 6 months? That is 2 babies per female per month. Not fast - as I said :lol: And wilson - I would not recommend these with WCMM. Every single baby will be hunted down and eaten by the monsters! They are fairly slow when small and I think that is why they have so few surviving babies. Report
April 29, 200719 yr comment_159646 how big will they get? what would be a good tank mate for wcmm that dosnt get two big (6cm is two big) Report
April 29, 200719 yr comment_159647 Wilson, some borneo suckers (aka Chinese Hillstream Loach) would be good with you wcmm's . http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/HillstreamLoaches/ChineseHillstreamLoach.php. they are quite cool. Report
April 29, 200719 yr comment_159653 nah i dont realy like them and ive never seen one down in chch Report
April 29, 200719 yr comment_159656 they wernt there today...or yesterday...or the day b4 ...:oops: i think i go there two much...oh and i was there on thursday two :oops: Report
April 29, 200719 yr comment_159690 My hackles weren't up at all Mr Ed, I was just confused. Can't imagine them becoming a pest as they are not vicious like gambusia. I have never known them to particularly eat their fry either - mine never did. Report
May 10, 200719 yr comment_161915 Leopardfish/Jordanella for sale! Carla has some fish for sale in the North islan. ($6 for Jordanella and I think $4 for leopardfish) I'm looking to combine an order to ship to chch to split shipping costs. Anyone out there from chch prepared to place an order please see the link below for details. http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewto ... 196#236196 Report
May 10, 200719 yr comment_161916 PS: Wilson I was told that jordanellas would be fine with my WCMM's and they're good at eating algae too.. that's what I want them for! I'm not concerned about whether they breed or not...if you wanted to increase your chances of breeding them you could always temporarily separate some out when the time was right. Report
May 10, 200719 yr comment_162081 What is Jordanella? Is it a gold fish variety or a separate species? Report
May 15, 200719 yr comment_162757 >Jordanella floridae are a killifish. I see. I guess, they are not cold water, then. Report
May 15, 200719 yr comment_162759 I've read on several different sites that Jordanellas can handle fairly low temps. Some report down to 8 degrees but most seem to say around 16 (which means that indoors are probably pretty safe without a heater) These fish can be found naturally in some parts of florida, where they can get some decent winter cold spells. They can be found elsewhere as well but I didn't commit those bits to memory :-? Report
May 15, 200719 yr comment_162760 Some killies are quite capable of standing a winter outside at Wellington. Ask Casserole. J/F come under that banner too. Report
May 30, 200719 yr comment_165296 Got some Leopards today at Jansens glenfield. $23 for ten with the Wednesday discount. I think they are cool, could put them in with a bunch of Galaxies?-or my daughters tank if anyone has reservations about that. Report
March 6, 20251 yr comment_588800 where can i buy leopard fish? i cannot seem to find them anywhere. Report
May 12, 20251 yr comment_589614 I haven't seen them for quite a few years (but I haven't been specifically looking either) but used to breed them. A lovely fish. Ask at your local pet store, if you have one, if they can get some for you. Report
May 17, 20251 yr comment_589675 Umm depends where you are they all seem to be top of north island ainthree fish sometimes sells them ( if they are still going) but they are facebook based and will not ship. Sometimes they randomly pop up on trade me Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.