Leopard Fish

Paula

I Have what the Jansen Pet store call Lepard Fish, they are live bearers and the females are larger than the males but both are spotted - can anyone tell me what the real name of these fish is - I believe they are closely related to the Guppy but are kept in cold water

Phalloceros caudomaculatus. They are a great fish. Their spawnings are not as frequent or large as guppies so you don't get overrun with them.

You don't see them in pet shops very often. I guess most people like to go for more highly coloured fish but they are one of my favourites.

Thank you for that - I have 50 babies at the moment that I am currently shifting to a bigger tank - lovely little fish. I have three adult females, I beautiful adult male and I adolesent male that I have successful breeding from.

I seem to have more luck with fry from them than I do from my White Clouds which are kept in a seperate tank, if anyone has tricks I would appreciate it.

Yeah there not cheap.

Had some people ask me to help empty there pond a few years back containing leopard fish.

They kept around 10 and asked if I could sell the rest for them the wholesale price was higher then Guppies at the time and probably still is, as Caryl mentioned there not that prolific compared to other live bearers.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi I have just got some of these leopard fish and am also trying to find information on them with no luck. How often do they have babies and how many would an average size have at one time? Cheers. a proper name would be great if anyone knows too.

correct name is Phalloceros caudomaculatus

As stated, the scientific name is Phalloceros caudomaculatus.

A livebearer, the leopardfish is not as prolific or fast producing as guppies. They like lots of water changes to induce spawning and will have 8 - 15 at a time. They produce more females than males so look after your fellas carefully.

If they don't like conditions they won't spawn, otherwise they can produce every 6 - 8 weeks or so. They are not fussy re pH and stuff but do appreciate good water conditions.

Leopard Fish are far and away the most prolific, hardy fish I've ever kept... bar none!

I originally bought five for my girlfiriend which sat in a little 30cm tank... they bred... I've been giving them away... have two smallish tanks at home with them and one on my desk at work.

I keep them unheated, so they stop breeding or growing much over winter (a good thing) and can survive almost anything. The office has gotten over 26 degrees and they a couple almost managed to survive an entire winter on a southerly facing deck in Wellington, but not much can survive that.

bulletproof wee things!

Gavin.... :) :)

Thanks for the info. appreciated. When I set up my tank I just used water from my guppy tank and let it go cold before i added the fish. at present they are only in a small tank, what would be suggested to be a good water change ammount and how often please? do they like to live in clean water more? can you tell with these guys when they are about to have babies like guppies or are they more like platies? cheers. 8)

If it is a small tank (60 x 30 x 30cm or less) then I would change 10L a week (a bucket out, a bucket in).

The females get fatter as they are about to produce but not to the extent of female guppies as they have fewer fry.

The parents tend to leave the fry alone, especially if they are well fed and there is plenty of plant cover. I have never separated the parents from the fry.

• 1 month later...

I have about 50 (mostly young) in a 3 foot tank at the moment and want to know a bit more about them. I see White Clouds got a nice article written on them but there isn't much info on the net on Leopards .... maybe I need to use that Latin name? Where are they native to and what temp is needed to keep them breeding? I did notice when it got cold I had a lot of very young die off so put a heater in the tank set to 20 deg. C and haven't lost one since ... maybe coincidence? I also was considering selecting out the best coloured (spotted) and only breeding them ... any merit in this? :o

Cheers

Too expensive to courier them down I guess. Rung NZcouriers for a price this week and they said $30 for 5kg for overnight service - and they really do not like taking live fish - and especially not in winter... Add to that the polybox and the heatpads and you get to $40 freight costs - if you can make it below the 5kgs.

Thanks for that caserole! They sound like a potential Gambosia .... anyone from DOC on this forum???? I don't think that pic does them justice and I'm quite happy to take some pics wilson but I don't have a web page to put them on! The males, as in all life forms, are the best looking! ..... any females on this forum???? .... DOH! :hail: