Breeding RED, YELLOW "Kadango"

Johannes Visser

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://hernando.free.fr/malawi/cichlide ... enji01.jpg what is this ? How come this fish has red all over its fins ? could it be that their are many different kinds and are all slightly different ?

http://myfish.akvamalawi.com/fish_show. ... vod=search :-?

Not a great pick of the fish we have, all the pics posted on here of the same fish !

The 2 in the last link have been colour fed. Note how all of the fins are coloured as well as the body.

The stripe I am talking about is on the anal fin only & I am talking about males. On kadango's this is white. I did a google search just to check. I saw this on only 2 photos out of 8 pages of pics, about 100 plus photos.

The first one you linked has the white edging. that is the type that will be in NZ. They are the old school Kadango that come with no location variant. Same as the old school ones we have here.

Frenchy :D

I'm still seeing hybrid in that pic (of your fish), I am still seeing slight peacockish look... :oops: is there a possibility it is a Kadango/Peacock cross, as in the origin of the fish? Frenchy is right the orange/yellow edging on the anal fin would the be the big question??

FINE IF YOU ALL SAY ITS NOT A KANDNGO!

THEN I NEED A MALE A GO WITH THE FEMALES, IF ARE THEY KADANGO FEMALES ! SURE ONE OF YOU CAN TELL ME !

ANYONE WITH A EXTRA KADANGO MALE FOR SALE OR SWAP PLEASE CANTACT PM ME

HAVE REMOVED THE SO CALLED HYBRID :evil: TOOK THESE PICS.WHENT TO THE LPS THEY ASSURED ME THIS WAS NOT A PEACOCK BUT A KADANGO MALE

HAVE ANOTHER LOOK AS PHOTOS CAN BE DECIVING. :cry:

no need to yell mate everyones trying to help..

It does look alot like what is sold in nz as a kadango possibly a hybrid or the best we can get here who knows, I had that fish before Ken and therefore you and I thought it was a kadango although I had 3 males at the time so didn't pay much attention to him..

The fish came from a lady I know and she got them as kadango's from hollywood's and she got them all as youngsters and they were silver with yellow fins etc everything fitting a kadango but this does occur with hybrids they can look normal at a young age and then colour or grow to a different shape.

The pics of the last fish make it look like its in very poor condition with a long stringy poo and sunk in stomach in the last one would lead me to believe you also have some problems in your tank, maybe it would colour up differently when its healthy not stressed and full of food...

Also the LPS (or LFS i presume) usually know nothing about africans especially when it comes down to identification, there are a few people in shops around Auckland who I would trust but unless you know them or they convince you they know anything I wouldn't believe what they say or use what they say in an argument its not very good backup..

RYAN THIS FISH IN QUESTION WAS NOT PURCHASED FROM KEN. YOU THINK YOU KNOW IT ALL, BUT MYBE YOU DONT ALWAYS GET IT RIGHT.

WE HAVE KENS FEMALES AND MALE BUT, THIS MALE WAS BOUGHT FROM A BREADER. BUT DID NOT SEE HIS FISH AS THEY WERE SHIPPED.

ALL MEMBERS ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO COME OVER AND VEIW OUR FISH

NOT EVERY FISH IN AUCKLAND COME FROM YOUR TANK

HAVE A BETTER LOOK, NO POO HANGING FROM THE FISH IT, S THE NET AND YES TRYING TO GET HIM OUT AN 8 FOOT TANK WILL STESS HIM A LITTLE DON’T YOU THINK!

DID NOT ASK FOR FISH ID. ASKED IF THEY COULD BREED, BUT THANKS FOR THAT ANYWAY.

YOU HAVE TRYED TO SABOTAGE ALL THE FISH WE KEEP AS HYBRIDS WITHOUT EVEN HAVE A PROPER LOOK FIRST.

WE DON’T HAVE MUCH KNOWLEG ON THE KADANGO THAT’S WHY WE ASKED. AND AS WE ALWAYS DO WE CHANGE MALES CONSTANTLY TO KEEP THE BLOOD LINE GOOD.

THINK FROM NOW ON, WON’T COMMENT ON ANY TOPIC ON THIS FORUM.NOR POSTING. AS YOU MAKE ONE FEEL VERY UNSOLICITED HERE

ATTAKING US RIGHT FROM THE START!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Johannes we were not being rude over your fish, we just clearly stated that it looked like a Hybrid and I am sorry if this has offended you, but after all, you did put the pics up to show... and I am sorry but even the fish out in the net doesn't look like a 100% Kadango... and unless the LFS person deals and keeps Africans themselves, I wouldn't go on their advice, I have only just started keeping Kadango (still young) got them from a great source in Welly... so I don't know too much about them, but with going at what I see... it's the fact you have maybe ended up with something that is meant to be Kadango but in turn has ended up a Peacock/Kadango cross....

We are not out to get you, we are here to help and it is unfair you are shouting at us over this thread... :-?

LIKE YOU SAID EVEN IF I DO BREED THEM WITH KENS MALE OR YOUR MALE THEY SHOULD BE OKAY AND WONT BE HYBRIDS SO ALL IS SWEET

lol I know what fish you got the male came from us.

Yes the females are silver with orange fins..

However the male you have has more yellow than orange in his body I think there are many different variants of kadango from yellow to red and orange in the body the babies wont be hybrids but generally you try to preserve the natural colours..

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/r ... p?genus=44

The 4 Copadichromis borleyi are all technically kadango's but as you can see have different colours depending on where they were collected from I guess.

:bounce: WE ALSO BOUGHT 10 FROM ALEX

Your taking it a bit far I didn't say they were hybrids at all I did give the male you got off ken to him and the pics you posted looked very much the same as it.. One of the females came from me as well and they were unrelated.

No one was ever being nasty or personally attacking you so I think your going a bit off your rocker here :)

Also may pay to get ahold of something to worm that fish you had in the pic im not being nasty but have had it go through my tanks too I know you've removed your pics but it wasn't looking flash thats not personal sometimes fish get sick and ive just wormed all my fish as well as they've got it.

If you read every single post neither I or anyone else was attacking you simply trying to give you advice etc.

From what your saying you dont seem to care if the fish your breeding are hybrids or not "DID NOT ASK FOR FISH ID. ASKED IF THEY COULD BREED, BUT THANKS FOR THAT ANYWAY. " that is a bad attitude as people on here have said they could be hybrids maybe pay to check before breeding and possibly spreading more hybrids..

Gee, hasn't this thread got heated :o

Settle down people - I mean seriously :roll:

From my experience with these fish ( some 6-7 years ) I would say that the male is a poor example of a C. Borleyi "Kadango", but a "Kadango" none the less. At certain angles they look very blue ( the scales have blue edging that gives this appearance ). The females look good. If they are not fed properly then they look elongated and not full bodied ( this may not be the current owners fault ). Not being critical but is has become very difficult to get quality stock. I had an importer down here bring in several batches before I got my A+ stock.

Tropheus has seen mine and knows how good these guys can look. If I new how to post pic's then I would do so.

BTW: If anyone in the South Island is interested I am closing my fish room and it is all up for grabs.

I have some very rare and beautiful African Cichlids.

OOA

The thing is you asked what could be breed with what.

I gave you the answer, that is with neither.

Big thrills you bought a dodgy fish. Whippee join the cue. I have been there done that a few times. Hopefully you will learn from the mistake. No ned to shout, we didn't sell it too you.

Thanks to all the replies, I will note that I have kept & breed a few species of Aulonocara & have kept Kadango too. Never bred, dam male :evil:

but a "Kadango" none the less

I mean really, look at the differences in body shape, head shape & length, scale patterns, the orange stripe on anal fin. That isn't caused by poor quality.

The best way to compare pics, is use similar species. Make up your own mind.

A kadango male, old mates, aulonocara steveni.

Copad_borlei_kadango.jpg

fishtank015.jpg

Aulonocara%20steveni.jpg

The good thing is if the females came from a different source, try & find a male from the same lines then. Before anyone goes oh but, this has been happening for generations with alot of cichlid species, no dramas.

Frenchy :D

The male has been removed from the breeding tank into a another tank, Yes I got a bid wired up cause I hear all kinds of things about the fish is a hybrids, they got worms and every one got to say that but not anyone till now shows what it should look like and what I need to know, I do not want to breed with hybrids neither interbreeding. so I bought some young ones from Wellington and will grow them out and replace the male once I can see how the male looks like.

These females I got here, what about them, can I still use then If I get a good male.

I would like any of you that is in my area to come and have a look at these fish as the pictures that has been taken by me are not good and they are still misleading.

Lets keep this topic like any other topic should be kept on the track and help me out the way should be done.

I also would like to see more pictures of the Red Kanandos in all of yours tank that I can look at some more.

I do not want pictures from the Internet because I have look at them all. And they are all hybrids just like mine when, I want to look at the fish in the tank and not the picture that on this topic.

So Lets see what happens now,

SHOW ME YOUR RED KADANGOES IN YOUR TANK, AT LEAST TWO PICTURES AT TO DIFFERENT ANGLES. COME ON AND HELP ME OUT.

DO NOT WANT ANY FROM THE INTERNET, GOT TO BE FROM YOUR TANK.

Just an update, fish is gone and can be seen at Jansens display tank in Mt Eden, So I got a good male now that looks different and should be with these red females we have.

I still have the silver female I don't want so if any one wants it, it is now up for grabs.

Thanks for the help ( Frenchy ) and others, Please in the future, if any fish is a hybrid don't pass it on. As I understand that was ryanjury fish to start with. (I Am Not Pickin on you )

As I can see we all want good fish and still we pass poor quality fish on for a dollar or two.

And last of all, none of the fish got worms.

Thank you.

The top fish in herefishiefishie reply above looks exactly like mine but alas even he is not as good.

Mine has the same basic colours but his fins are much better - the ventral fins on mine are twice as long, but basically pretty similar regardless.

Oh yeah, he and his 6 female companions are for sale as per my list. In fact at present 4 of the females have mouths full of fry. Better get them out when I get home I guess :D

OOA

When you have put in as much effort as me for as many years as me to strive for the best specimens possible then you too would be proud of your collection.

My collection has been obtained with much effort but I share the offspring with any real enthusiasts - dreamers need not apply.

If you saw these fish for yourself you would be dumb struck as many have been already.

When was the last time anyone here commited to purchasing ALL the fish requested in an importers order to risk getting a good strain of just ONE species :o for your own personal enjoyment :D

Modest NO - just proud of my little guys. Not to mention just stating the facts :wink:

Come visit and see for yourself :D

OOA

I have purchased many a fish in large numbers.. to try and obtain decent from what is brought in, but you know at the end of the day...

It comes down to you can only spend as much money as you HAVE :D

I commend you on your efforts.. as is everyone else no doubt does, BUT we are all not dreamers.. that's a bit unfair...

I am considering the PM's sent to me from the North Island folk but I would prefer to sell to South Island only - I really don't have the time to organise the freight etc to send then across the ditch.

It looks as if "tropheus" is planning on flying down to collect his specimens and this suits me to the ground but he stated that he is only coming down for his fish so please do not hassle him.

Let me think about it for a while. I am happy to suuply anyone but time is the problem ( the reason I am selling in the first place ).

Afrikan - If you consider yourself a dreamer then feel offended but from what I here you are OK so relax dude. I have a good idea who you all are - it was not aimed at anyone in particular ( well one person does come to mind actually, and you know who you are ).

evilknieval69 - get a life. No further comments to the likes of you. I do not know how to post pics ( and no one has told me how even though I asked ) so some sort of explanation helps.

Some people out there are going to be happy with this opportunity, some are not.

I wasn't getting riled up OOA, I don't consider myself a dreamer at all, so I am not offended as such, it was hard to know who or whos that comment was directed at.. I think everyone strives with what they have, its just some have access to things more so than others.. we can only work with what we are able to source :D

BTW I am a dudette, the other half is a DUDE :lol: