Breeding RED, YELLOW "Kadango"

Johannes Visser

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol I know what fish you got the male came from us. :)

Yes the females are silver with orange fins..

However the male you have has more yellow than orange in his body I think there are many different variants of kadango from yellow to red and orange in the body the babies wont be hybrids but generally you try to preserve the natural colours..

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/r ... p?genus=44

The 4 Copadichromis borleyi are all technically kadango's but as you can see have different colours depending on where they were collected from I guess.

C. Borleyi "Kadango"

There are other "variants" of C. Borleyi but they come from other reefs again. One population even has females identical to "Kadango" but the females have yellow fins and not orange fins like ONLY the Kadango variety have. The males of this variant are different again.

DO NOT CROSS THE VARIANTS :evil: , that is bad practice. Do your homework and get it right or flood the market with more rubbish fish from ignorant keepers.

I have a true Kadango variety and if you saw them you would be blown away at the intense colour and fin quality - the males ventral fins finish at the caudal fin - impressive :o.

You said it o.O.A

Instead of asking questions and waiting for answers that are incorrect or misleading. Why dont you just go to a good web site and read into what ever you want. There are heaps of good sites.

try this one : http://www.cichlid-forum.com/index.php

The amount of crap C.Borleyi sold on trademe just makes me mad :evil:

I wouldnt even trust the local importers. Bought some peacocks "ruben reds" the other month, 2 males and four females, and just noticed that one of the supposed females is a male of some sort. Awesome markings but will have to wait a few months before i can see what it turns into.

I have 6 small Kadango that we purchased a wee while ago to grow on and it would neat to hear back about the ones available here...

I came across a link and I was wondering if these are infact the same fish as we have?

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/haps/copadichromis_borleyi_kadango.html

In the pics from the site above, the fish fins and tail are totally blue, he has a deep body and his face is more so blunt and rounded.. those were the differences I noticed than the fish above on this thread?

Some feedback would be awesome, so we could at least know if ours are a different strain or...?? :D

Someone call :lol:

The fish in the middle picture is a pecacock{Aulonocara} of some sort.

Having read the thread, its a case of once again, old school kadango's are just that. What variant I am not sure, it's the same case here. Unless of course someone just imported a particular variant.

As we all know, breeding with better quailty males/females will produce generally better off spring.

Is it just me, or does the female in the top pic have a nice higher body, note around the head, compared to that of the female in the bottom pic.

The ones we have over here a like this one,

Copadichromis_Borleyi_Kadango_small.JPG

Frenchy :D

Phew.. I thought it may have been Frenchy, I had said to Ryan on MSN, that fish in the middle screams Peacock to me, but I just didn't want to say anything :oops:

The first female has a far higher head and the body to me seems fuller?...than the last female.

And yes I hollered from afar.. :lol:

Female in at top in the earlier post are 9cm at size and the male at 10cm, still coulering up,

I did a search on peacocks and kadangos and do not find any peacocks to mach up with the fish I have bought, the male looks the same as in the picture of this link down in this post. The pictures I have taken is misleading and not great. :(

the females in the bottom pictures of earier post are only at 7cm but tried hard to get a better picturs but no luck. here are some to look at.

Anyone in my area are more than welcome to come and look at the fish and have a look. pm me if would like to view.

Thanks for the help.

Brad has a look today & said to me he thinks the male is to high bodied to be peacock.

If we went half way, as I think its not round enough to be a kadango.

Hybrid? I know peacocks & Kadangos can cross. Was it Billaney that had the pics up not long ago of the peacock trying to get in on the action? :wink:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/mmf-vt17709.html

Oh I am yet to see a male Kadango with a red stripe on its anal fin too. Someone may correct me on that :wink:

So to answer the question, neither.

Frenchy :D

Looks like a Hybrid I think, I can still see peacock likeness in first pic.. and the second pic the head looks so much more pronounced, they totally look like different fish...

Amazing

And yeah it was Billaney peacock and kadango that were sharing the same woman :lol: