Copidachromis Azureus

JoandWilly

• 2 weeks later...

I was there the day these guys went in, actualy in with lithobates, got one guy and took the most female lookig one as well. One day later "he " was returned, and I think rest are all males.

LFS!!!-Yes!....but how about Asian importers shipping in mostly, if not all males.-These fish sre big enough for a trained eye to sex.

Males tend to sell better because they are pretty.

Litho's kept in with them too :o :roll: :( That is beyond a joke. Its worse keeping litho's with electric blues, than keeping azureus with them. :-? These will cross breed at the drop of a hat.

Over here its a case of; if a lfs or breeders sells electric blues and they have the 2 or 3 black spots on the body, avoid them like the plague{cross breed}

For some reason when these guys cross, well here anyway. They tend to still look like blues as in colour, shape....they carry over the litho's splotches/dots.

So there is a tip for you guys to look out for too.

Frenchy :D

Hahahahaha we have had a recent discussion on that one huh Frenchy :lol:

I was given some really tiny supposed Fryeri... too small to tell really whats what, and as they developed they had the "spots" Frenchy mentioned.. so I thought hmm not like my first lot of true Fryeri I have....

So thanks Frenchy.. :hail: I had a good weed out :lol: Oscar shall be happy.. :lol:

Anyway back to my original question.... does anyone know where I might be able to find some females? I'd hate for the male to grow up lonely... To clarify the LFS concerned – were up front about the error in putting the 2 species in the same tank which is in their favour and its hard to get staff that sometimes have the experience to identify African cichlids and know the difference, myself being a new bee it can be a mine field out there. So is there anyone else out there keeping these that may want to sell a female…please pm me. Thanks

They will be buggered if anyone goes into the store wanting either species if they can't identify them, I don't think stores should order fish in if they don't have any clue, not just Afs, that goes for many fish...

Sorry I don't know of any females... not sure on anyone else? Guys??

The thing that concerns me is this part

HHF mixed theres with Scaenachromis Fryeri females both look very similar

If they are 3cm or more, then they should be able tell them apart. :o One is slender & long.... the other is higher bodied & even juvies should have 3 black spots on the body. Unless the Azureus are crosses of course.

Then again if the other comment is litho's

Azures, litho, elec blue

cazureuf.jpg

otopharynx_lithobates_02c.jpg

art_sci_fryeri_02.jpg

How funny though,{funny ha, not ha ha} that a shop will mix these together.

I can't help you out sorry, different country for a start.

How silly isnt it.

:-? these look impossible to tell apart..hey I know what, lets put them in together :lol: :o {shakes head in disbelief}

O.lith is the slender one with a bit of yellow in it

Males get the yellow running through the top....

Cop.Azures is just black and high bodied

Black?{scratches head} The black as in the 3 spots? The photos I placed were all females. Any colour will be males & it should be blue/aqua in Azureus.

Problem with the spots is both Azureus & litho's should have them.

A few of the posts & pm's I have seen over the last week or 2 have got me thinking about the quality of some stock.

One link I received was this

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/1-vt3033.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The fish in these pics are not electric blues. Ahli or fryeri.

Thanks for the pics Frenchy - I'll go back and have another look ... Litho's have that slender look plus perhaps a yellow strip trhough the top of the dorsal fin right? Hmmm fun times in the land of African cichlids. Also be interested in your thoughts Tropheus ...

Here a link to a few pics of young Lithobates that I have bred from the last lot of stock that came in on consignment...

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/micdaf/Lithobates/

I am picking the Lithos that are in the shop now are privately bred?? I haven't seen Lithos on the list for a while..

Anyway heres the link above of my little fatso's...