What do you think of UV sanitizers?

penguinleo

They don't do anything much for algae on plants - they kill waterborne stuff only, and you will still get algae buildup on things if you let it. Get some BNs or SAEs for those.

I'm using a pondmaster 11w on a 340L tank, bigger is better though, and the cost difference isn't major for the next size up.

Theres an interesting thread in the marine section about uv units, something about the distance between the quartz sleeve and the outer of the unit influences what bacteria the UV can kill. My take on this is a bigger unit with slower flow rate will kill the bacteria just as well as a more expensive unit with the "correct" spacing and a fast flow rate, because of the longer exposure times. Works for me. But I could be wrong. :D

I've got a 24 watt AA internal sterilizer on my 285ltr tank and have never had a problem with green water or fish getting white spot or anyother nastys since i instald it.

It's got a low water through-put which give the water a good blast of UV. They are a great thing and would recomend. :hail:

UV is good it you are addressing a specific problem, i.e. green water, bacteria, or parasites.

On the down side to UV if you using it address green water your not really addressing the problem, all the nutirants the algae aren't using (because you killing them) will still be in the water so will either cause an increase in algae on the plants etc or will just stay in the water which could cause other problems. IMO a better option is to identify the cause the of the nutirants and address that, for example increase the water changes, lower feeding, check your water change supply.

If you using it to address parsites or bacteria, this is fine in the short term but in the long term fish will loose their immunity, and when you change them to an other none UV tank you could have bigger problems. Generally if tank is well maintained and fish not stressed you shouldn't have problems with parasites or bacteria

• 1 month later...

sorry to bring this subject up again but i was searching thru and found this one, i was looking at getting a uv sterilizer but need to know is it better to invest in a really good filter and other stuff or is it worth(how much are they anyway) getting them maybe some info from the people who use them and people who have used them and found they are not worth it would be pretty helpfull sorry but just need to know cheers guys

I use one - an internal 400lph) in my 4ft along with my new cf1200. Only use it in this tank as this one contains my jarred male fighters - no algae since I got it - 4mths - in the water and certainly reduced the amount on the containers but not completely stopped it. I got it for 2 reasons - 1 the algae and 2 to control things like white spot etc as I can not get much flow through the containers. Works great for me but wouldn't bother with it in my other tanks, planted and bare bottom as I either have catfish or can clean it easily.

So theres no point in me getting on to kill the algae in my tank it keeps going green and annoying me.. Its only one tank and its not in direct sunlight or anything ive even given up turning the tank lights on during the day..

How do I get rid of the nutrients in the tank to get rid of the algae? I understand going UV would be treating the symptoms not the cause..

My take on UV is different to many people. I don't see it's best attribute as being "killing" stuff like parasites and free floating bacteria and algae.

I think it's most useful feature is the fact that it breaks chemical bonds. It takes larger organic molecules, which contain P and N, and splits them to give reactive P and N.

In marine systems this is quickly sequestered by bacteria which form a flock which can be skimmed out -> this is very valuable.

In a freshwater system i would suggest that plants are able to assimilate this reactive P and N more easily than organically bound species, and remove it at a faster rate.

So while some see UV as treating a symptom, I think is a very effective way of keeping a system low nutrient, plus you get an added bonus of parasite control.

But like Alan said, there are criteria for them to operate successfully.

Layton

Thats very interesting, but would really only work best if the tank had vigorous plant growth = co2system.

And then would only be of use if the tank was way over loaded, or am I in error.

Ryan --

3 things

1,Are you using water from your DI unit?? if so it may be used up and contaminating the water.

2, if not, test the water you are using, it may be contaminated.

3, If the water is not contaminated then... as many water changes/week as you can manage may be helpful - thus flushing the excess nutrients from fish waste - this may take a little time depending on what is the problem...

Bulls is surrounded of farm land so it is likely there are phosphates and nitrates in the tap water, the question is how much.

So in the end if the tap water is the problem and you want to fix the problem you will be up for a UV or a R/O unit.

R/O being the best choose.

I haven't used the unit yet and it is used up but I have been contemplating it.. Its a resin one I think as one canaster is filled with some sort of brown stuff that looks like desicant (I know its not but the only thing I can think of thats like it)..

It may well be the water im using from the tap.. But why only one tank?

Ive tried doing a heap of water changes but they only dilute it and then it builds up again pretty quick..

But why only one tank?

All though there probably is farm run off in the water, it clearly isn't the problem if other tanks are ok.

does that tank get more food then the other tanks??

- what is different about it, for eg how many cm of fish per lt, compared to your other tanks or are there many young fish eating a lot or does the substrate contain to much waste and needs a good clean .....

There are so many variables, it may be that tank gets more in direct light then the other tanks of similar parameters.

• 2 weeks later...