cold water guppies

Gannet

There is no such thing Gannet.

It is a ploy by unscrupulous LFS to sell a fish to unsupecting buyers.

Yes they can be kept in unheated tanks.

But not at Haast.

Can a coldwater fish be kept outside anywhere in NZ any time?

Yes, that's why they are called cold water fish.

Guppies I don't think, would suvive a winter in Auck. outside.

So the LFS to cover their butts on this one say, " Oh well, we just meant an unheated tank inside a house"

Hope the house is heated thru the winter, because in most places thru winter, they wouldn't.

They definately don't survive in my unheated fish room in the garage here.

So the short answer is NO THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS C W G!!

Guppies are able to deal with lower temperatures than most tropical fishes, as are some barbs (like rosys, golden etc) and other fish. They are fine in "cold" water if the temperature is not less than 18C. The average well insulated house in many parts of NZ would not get below this, hence the term "coldwater" means "in a well insulated house in a warm part of the country so you do not require a heaterstat" 8)

thanks thats what i thought, thanks for conferming that.

i ended up talkn to a person for an hour about this and thats what i said that there is no such thing, just guppies that can handel lower temps, but with no heating out side they will die. thanks for the comfermation.

Caryl, as you mentioned them, I have had both the rosy and golden barbs survive in a bath thru the winter here.

Shame we had the Awatapu flood here a few years back.

They learnt how to swim in a REAL big pond then, never to be seen again.

Gambusia are often called "Cold water guppies" just as WCMM used to be known as "The poor man's Neon". However in the case of Gambusia they are a genus of the same family [Poeciliidae] as Guppies.

They are considered a pest in NZ and have caused huge enviromental damage.

From WIKIPEDIA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambusia

As to why they are a pest? These may help:

http://www.gambusia.net/

http://www.issg.org/database/species/ecology.asp?fr=1&si=126&sts=

Yeah Paradise fish are quite content in cold water. When I was a kid I always had them in cold. Put one out in my mothers pond once, netted it out a year later when they were re-doing the pond and it was absolutely huge.

Danios will live for a long time in cold-water, but they lose their colour and look kinda washed out, only takes them 5 minutes in warm water to recolour though.

And yeah coldwater guppies aren't 'real' as such but I hope you'd find that they were semi-engineered using darwinism, e.g. female guppy drops 30 babies in cold water, 2 survive, 1 of those becomes a female, the other a male, breed those two and we get 50+% guppies strong enough to withstand the cold, do it again... and so on.

If that is not the case, then whoever labeled them as cold water guppies first deserves a poke in the eye.

You could probably breed colder resistant guppies given how fast guppies breed in a relatively short time. Say 300 generations if you start off with a huge pond of thousands and drop the temp a degree a year...

more than likely gambesis (sp)

A.K.A Mosiquito fish (sp)