Just got some jap fire bellied newts

jamestothemax

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys - unfortunately I don't still have em.... (Did I mention they are escape artisits). The last one got out after I'd had it for about 7 years... and the cat, surprisingly, was very crook for about a week afterwards. I have my suspicions :evil:

I do miss them, they were characters - I had them in a tank near my computer so I could keep an eye on them.

I had the tank 50/50 water land and in the water and I had WCMM's breeding - but the newts weren't interested in them at all. The land side was no higher than an inch above the water level so it was always damp in there.

• 5 years later...
I have some also and find them fascinating. I have bought an imported terrarium and put a glass divider across the bottom to make half water and half land. I used potting mix on the land with medium,smooth gravel on top and gravel only in the water. I installed a 12 inch light with growlux type tube and planted emerse grown Echinodorus bleheri and magdalensis (both died - I think from lack of light). Cardamine lyrata and Hydrocotyle leucocephala both are growing OK on the land then into the water. I am still learning about these guys but I understand they can obsorb through the skin and you therefore want relatively inert material for them to be in contact with. Soil with one third potting mix and strong light would probably grow the plants provided you cover it to keep it away from the newts. You will need good shelter for them to get out of the light. I spray everything with water from an atomizer most days and that usually brings them out from hiding. Good luck, You wll enjoy catching aphids.

A bit of a long shot but you mentioned you got some Magdalensis... Do you remember where you got this from... I'm on te hunt for this?

Cheers

Sure do - milkweed have poisonous sap.

I always tried to encourage the taller growing dandilion type plant (its name escapes me now - puha?). Potato vine was good at attracting aphis as well. My noots were also trained to take ox-heart from tweesers, but I always gave it a sprinkle of vitamin/mineral mix first.

I also remember being told not to feed fish/reptiles aphis off roses - but cant remember why. Pretty sure I did anyway.