sump, dosing pump water level switch ideas?

Krama

I think many have built reliable topups. A good suggestion I saw is to have the top up on a lighting timer - have it on for say 5 mins a day. That way even if it did screw up it will only pump for a short period.

I think the top up prices are pretty ridiculous.

My topup switch is a $20 float switch, a relay and enclosure from Jaycar for about $30 and a few plugs and wires from DSE for about $5. Oh, and a 12v wall wart I already had.:) Seems pretty reliable so far, but if you want to put it on a timer for 5 min a day that would be extra insurance and cheaper than a second high level relay switch.

unless your tank is very small it doesn't really matter if you loose 12 or 15 liter a day as long as over a week the water level stays the same. i top up (by hand) approx 20 liters at one time to get the same water level before a water change. does it make any difference to the tank? no!

simple top up pump or nothing if you don't mind topping up every day would do the trick, of course more advanced systems would make it easier.

Mine is a DYI.

20l container with a small pump from LFS with a hose connected which goes in to my sump. A level switch from Water control Solutions in my sump (they are very relaible as it is just a magnet which floats up and down). Mine is controlled by a PLC but you can do it with a simple relay.

Cost bugger all.

I also have a hose in to the 20l container from a tap which I have connected a soliniod so when I push a button the 20l container fills up.

No risk of flooding my tank with fresh water which is real bad..... ask a round it does happen. Oh make sure you have a water filter inline.

I just use a timer for mine, think its set to 5x15 minute periods at the moment, once things warm up I'll just add another 15 minutes. When I do my weekly skimer clean etc I check the level an add a few liters if I need to. Simple and cheap way to do it IMO