Florecent fish

fishboi

just read the tread rcon021 posted about the new discovered "galaxy fish" it reminded me a shop i visited while in Taiwan that sells fish that glows in the dark or under a black light. its an genetic modified fish that not all ppl can agree upon so its still the only shop to sell them.

these pics are just taken off the Internet and they're green pearl danios and red zebra danios but they have just about every common small schooling fish in fluorescent colors of blue, red, yellow, green, purple.......

reuters_fishglow_399x450.jpg

2001798324.jpg

to learn how it started click on the link below

http://www.mongabay.com/external/glowing_fish.htm

could it be that they have been injected with dye or something? As they don't look right but the second pic looks awesome.

nope genetically modified, they breed this way once modified but is sterilized to be infertile for selling to the public in case it leads to the wild.

I reckon they are a certain colour but under a black light they are a different. You know like a white shirt under a black light.

yep especially the fluorescent green ones which just looks normal when under normal lighting.

Some fish species are dyed - a cruel practise which also shortens the life of the fish considerably.

These fish are genetically modified. I can't see what is wrong with the beautiful, natural colouring myself.

nope too right i my self thought it look very unnatural.

the shop is located on a street with about 20+ other fish shops and when i was there the shop was dead while every other shop is packed with ppl so i guess most other hobbyist feel the same way.

they done it to axies too :evil:

personally i think people that want glow in the dark fish need a good slapping.

goes to show once again how silly humans can be- we just dont seem to be happy with naturalness (if that's a word) :(

mind u sharn there are natural deep water marine fish that glows in the dark.

anyone like them?

here is a video clip of the very first Fluorescent fish "rice fish"

http://www.azoo.com.tw/azoo_en/azoohtml/tk1video.php

oh lordy PJ- someone that shares my pain. its the saddest craze to ever hit the earth (it being emoism).

i wonder if any natural fish that we keep in tanks would 'glow' under black lights? surely at least one would have the little thingamabobs in their skin that make them glow? but i suppose then that makes them easy targets out in the wild so maybe not *thinking aloud*

Well I think genetic modification is the bees knees, I rekon the red glofish look awesome, not so fussed on the green. :D

One thing that should be pointed out, these glow in the dark fish were developed for testing pollution levels in streams and rivers. They were not developed with commercial factors in mind, however someone realised that there was a potential market for these.

Everyone loves gold fish - they are in my opinion far more genetically modified than these glofish.

Remember that the glowing is only down to the presence of one protein, it can arise through selevtive breeding also, except that would take thousands of years, just like the goldfish's evolution, and probably involve numerous other unwanted mutations.

I think in 50 years genetic engineering will be so wide spread that noone will care about it anymore.

They were pretty popular on release!

One hundred thousand fish were reported sold in less than a month at US$18.60 apiece.

And they are fertile apparently! If I was paying $25 for a zebra danio I would sure as hell want them to breed. :D

I think they look great too, and would look stunning in a black-lit tank in a night club or something, but it still worries me that people are inserting genes into fish- genes that are not intended to be there. If memory serves me right, these fish were from adding a jelly fish gene to the mix.

I might be wrong on the source, but the point remains that we don't really know that much about all the gene sequences in any animal(we've only mapped the human genome and a few insects), so adding a bit here may lead to some nasty mutation if the fish spawned with something else.

Ya, it sounds kinda paranoid but just something to think about. But if the gene sequence has been heavily tested ...

Many of those glofish do glow on their own, you dont have to use a blacklight. I dont think many normal fish would glow in UV, lots of marine things do though.

The other thing is I dont think its a good idea to have a UV above the tank for very long. I was interested in getting scorpions(until I had my dreams crushed by MAF regulations -heard that story before haha) when I was younger and found that they too glow in UV, but that they will get tremendous sunburn.

pepe2.jpg

We have uv lights for various things at uni, one of the bulbs is used to check for flourescent dyes. My postgrad friend didn't wear the welding helmet thing one time (only for about 3 mins) and he was sunburnt all around his eyes,face and lips. :lol:

And they are fertile apparently! If I was paying $25 for a zebra danio I would sure as hell want them to breed. :D

na unfortunatly not, would be fun though. :D

They sterilize the fish, so they won't contaminate wild populations if they are somehow set free. Prof. Tsai says he has been able to sterilize about 90% of the fish, which he says is safe enough.

The other thing is I dont think its a good idea to have a UV above the tank for very long. I was interested in getting scorpions(until I had my dreams crushed by MAF regulations -heard that story before haha) when I was younger and found that they too glow in UV, but that they will get tremendous sunburn.

black light and UV light are two very different things.

UV light is very harmful and can cause burn [we fishys use this in our UV-C filter systems which is completely covered so u cant see the light directly]. and of cause MH lights mainly used by saltys goes into the UV spectrum but not as harmful.

Black light which is what we're taking about using here to make these glow are harmless and often used at nightclubs....etc a lot things will glow under black light including our eyes, finger nails, teeth and lemon juice :D

I think they are getting at the fact that if they were released into the wild they would not likely survive because of their low fertility rates.

Check this article... http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... p?news=220

""Two days after buying them, I had a nice tank full of baby danios clinging to the walls of the 10 gallon tank. The largest fry started glowing under a black light at 10 days old. At 23 days, I transferred them to a larger tank and counted 192 individuals. Terry has also been successful in crossing his GloFish with other aquarium strains of the Zebra danio: “Crossing with short-fin spotted, long-fin gold, short-fin zebra, long-fin zebra, short-fin gold, and long-fin blue have all produced red and green glowing offspring (but not 100% of any one spawn).â€

But unfortunately if you breed them you cant sell them :(.

Accordingly, our fish are able to breed just as any other Zebra fish. At the same time, we encourage people to remember that their sale is covered by a substantial number of patents and related intellectual property. Because of this, any breeding and subsequent sale of the fish is prohibited

Imagine being sued for selling fish you bred, man would that suck.