New PIKES!!!!

Sirkus

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhhh sorry, i didnt realise chips= crisps. glad thats cleared up. i only have these questions cos i dont want to expect something that isnt so so i think starting from the things i think are important i.e. takeaways and vinegar and then develop onto things i havnt thought about (vinegar is a good one cos i would expect it at a 'chippy').

on a quick googling, i couldnt find what pakeha and pahu are??? cant seem to find out what the kumara is but the recipe for chips looks lovely, i love olives! especially queen, mammoth or ones stuffed with chilli or garlic!!! great, you got me slavering now lol!

Dont panic Sirkus..... Any decent Chippy Shop will have Vinegar and an optional lemon - just ask for it.

Pakeha = White person - generally under paid and over worked

Kumara = Sweet potato = can be roasted, baked, or fried, but high sugar content makes them burn quickly when fried. Kumara is usually associated with Maori cooking. On saying that I'm a "Pakeha" from Australia and our kids love Kumara.

Olives are a biggie here too, my fav "Queen Kalamatea"

Your biggest issue will be the variet of food available rather than the lack of it. We are a very multicultural society, especially in the Cities. There are Asian, European, British, Maori, Pacific, French influences in most of our recipies. Ohh and also McD's, Subway, Zeros, B'K's, Red Rooter, KFC.... and teh rest of the fast food groups.

In our small town (pop about 23,000) we have French, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Cambodian, Thai, Celtic, Italian and Irish restaurants plus all the wineries, takeaways and specialty places like The Steak Shed etc.

Ahh that explains why one of the guys at work retired to Blenheim - both him and his wife were Ponsonby cafe hoppers :) , so must have felt at home there - lol. Not to mention the Attraction of the local vineyards and brilliant sunshine hours!!!.

All the wineries have restaurants or cafes attached these days. Two things we do not lack in Blenheim are food and sunshine! 8)

Auckland must be close behind, we dont lack for Food or Traffic Jams. The sunshine is a fleeting thing at the moment, but today it seems to be making an appearance.

Sorry but ... as an ex-pat Brit i got to say most of the chippys here suck-the fish is normaly great (ever seen snapper in a british chippy?)but the chips just let them down-9 times out of 10 , may be differant oil or somthing ??

3 years working in the Nederlands got me onto the mayo thing with "shoestring "fries -if I manage to find "proper"chips needs to be salt and vinager though

other than that all the "normal" take outs found in the UK

beer's not bad.......good Guinness and Uk/european beer can be found & somtimes a deccent Cider :D:D:D

beaches & country side views -

look at house prices etc here and in the UK

-no NHS though you have to pay for Dr's & Dental visits (just cost $400 to get a tooth pulled)-i know NHS dentists are hard to find at home but they can still be found

basicly theres more oppotunity here - not sure what the work visa situation is but I think that the Skilled Migrant catagory has been eased since I came other(2003)

-Auckland is not cheap though-you dont want to go from Uk crappy estate to an NZ one -I'm planning to move further out in to the sticks asap

Sirkus one thing you might find strange to get from a fish and chip shop is a hot donut with cinnamon and sugar, I used to work with a girl from Scotland who had never encountered that before she came here.

Kumara is sweet potato and you'll probably find out what a pakeha is when you get here. :lol:

I think the best food we have here is our dairy products (beautiful creamy icecream) and red meat. We also have good fresh fruit and veges, which are relatively cheap.

and yes you can buy pickled gherkins in a jar (if you really have to)

There are even some specialty shops you'll find that will have your favourites from the UK that you can't get here, but it will cost you.

mmmmmmmm i love tartare sauce so much! anything tangy or has vinegar in it at some point is good to me! im pretty shocked by the lack of vinegar outlets! i will definitely be bringin my own, boy am i guna stink if it leaks in my bag :o :evil: these cheesy weesys sound great, not usually into cheese but im up for trying anything. whats the staple diet for people at home? spag bol? pizza, pasta and such like? i tend to eat the same at breakfast as i would any other meal which parents dont really understand but rice krispies dont really fill you up unless its 5 bowls, im a tall bloke and pretty high metabolism...

thanks for that sid, beer (or more so lager) is an important part of my diet since im a student, think im guna have to have some teaching to do when i get there to educate the local chippy in making proper chips. i think i can adapt to the pickled situation slowly...very slowly, i didnt mean that i was guna bring vinegar over with me, i was just guna have to carry it around while im there in case of an emergency meal without vinegar at hand lol.

After reading these posts last night I had vinegar on my chips on the way home. Can't see why I liked it all those years ago. I will stick to hot chips without it from now on, but great to have the trip down memory lane thanks Sirkus. The snapper I had with it (no tarakihi sadly) was delicious!!

At least my local fish and chip shop looks after Poms!!

After reading these posts last night I had vinegar on my chips on the way home. Can't see why I liked it all those years ago. I will stick to hot chips without it from now on, but great to have the trip down memory lane thanks Sirkus. The snapper I had with it (no tarakihi sadly) was delicious!!

At least my local fish and chip shop looks after Poms!!

I think the vinegar we had years ago was a lot stronger in flavour, malt vinegar these days seems almost as weak as my socks soaked in hot water. But still slightly more pleasurable. :)