New PIKES!!!!

Sirkus

hey all!

theres 2 things to mention here, think i should start at the beginning as its usually a good place. today i was in york which is sumwhere in the middle of britain, not entirely sure myself, to go to an immigration fayre. itws pretty much made my whole family really want to move to nz and now we have a better idea of how to go about it. on the way back we stopped off in a car park to eat fish and chips (by the way, what sort of food do you have for take aways in nz?) which happened to be a garden centre. getting that close a fish outlet i couldnt resist, i had a look round and spotted this fish at £10 each so bought 7 of them and got £20 off!!! im really happy with em so far and theyr just in the bag as we speak!

061014%20-Crenicichla%20compressiceps.jpg

Crenicichla compressiceps, only grow to 75mm

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and minus the pikes :lol: dont have them over here but im sort of happy about that considering the size some of them get to :o

fish and chips is seen as our national food icon isnt it? not sure if you guys have Pizza Hut over there but im loving their cream cheese and onion stuffed crust pizzas lately *drools*

fish and chips are awesome here if you find a good shop,chinese is different cos they mix the vege's in with the meat and indian is not in the same league but if you put a steak or burger on the barbie and invite a few friends you will have a wonderful takeaway. Oh and don't worry about the vinegar you only have to ask for it. As for the mushie peas comment isn't that a Yorkshire thing not Geordie? We also have pizza hutt,mcdonalds,burger king,wendy's and kfc.

jim.

Plus Dominoes, Hellz pizza, Chicken oporto, Burger fuel, Burger Wisconsin, gazillions of Sushi places, random asian takeaways, Red rooster, Lebanese takeaways, Muffin break, Starbucks, Gloria Jeans, Esquire, Jester's Pies, Country Fried Chicken, random pies and sausage rolls at dairies, Movenpick Ice cream, NZ Natural ice cream, Wendy's <-- the ice cream one, and Dunkin Donuts but I think thats only in Auckland... :roll:

Vinegar with fish and chips? :o Do you use it for both the fish and chips, or just the fish? And is it a dip or a sauce you drizzle over it like a lemon?

im about ready to cry :o ! you dont have vinegar on chips?!!?!?!?! i have vinegar on everything! i love it on rice! it really works for me! not common with most people as i seem to have a craving (or obsession if you ask anyone who knows me lol). you must have pickled gherkins!!!?!?!.....right??? :o you put shake it on the chips, fish or anything else, peoples preferences vary but generally vineger on it all will be good, really makes batter moist nd tasty yummm!!! hehehe. i like a good ol' monsoon of vinegar on food lol

wow! you have quite a few more outlets than i expected? are most of them all over the country or at least have a chain?

sharn wot did u mean by 'hot chips', do you have cold chips as well or were you being descriptive?

mushy peas are pretty common all over but most people, especially geordies like to pretend theyr 'hard' and have curry with it. i like curry with fish nd chips but gravy is good too and its not the proper hot curry, its more just yellow gravy with lumps nd spices in it but its nice.

do you have any special sauces out there? perhaps wanganui hot sauce or somesort of brown sauce? fruit sauces at all (apple)?

i didnt expect such a reponse about the food, but i think i may have to ask you more about food as it is one of my passions as it seems it is with a few of you at least.

as regards the pike, it only grows 3 inch which is tiny. alot of the others grow bigger but varies with species, they really are a beautiful fish and im really impressed with the buy :D

this may sound like a stupid question but do you have bread out there? as in loafs of bread?

Of course we have bread. You seem to have some odd preconceptions about NZ :lol:

Unfortunately we have the big takeaway chain stores throughout the country. You can find their rubbish alongside any road.

Hot chips describes chips like you have with fish and chips to differentiate them from potato chips like snack chips (kettle fries etc) you eat from a packet.

Lots of sauces here, tomato, ketchup, Worchestershire, soy, tartare etc - plus many I bet you have never heard of.

Wait until you try kumera chips :wink:

You can buy viengar here, you just can't ask for it at the takeaway shop so always have your own handy and you will be fine.

Anyone willing to offer sirkus some puha and pakeha? :lol: :lol: :lol:

ahhhh sorry, i didnt realise chips= crisps. glad thats cleared up. i only have these questions cos i dont want to expect something that isnt so so i think starting from the things i think are important i.e. takeaways and vinegar and then develop onto things i havnt thought about (vinegar is a good one cos i would expect it at a 'chippy').

on a quick googling, i couldnt find what pakeha and pahu are??? cant seem to find out what the kumara is but the recipe for chips looks lovely, i love olives! especially queen, mammoth or ones stuffed with chilli or garlic!!! great, you got me slavering now lol!

I was a little bit disappointed at this thread - the perfect opportunity to pull his chain and everyone answered honestly :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We don't really have takeaways here, we have to dig a big pit, line it with rocks, light a fire in it, then when the rocks are hot, bury the food in the pit until its cooked. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It's called a hangi and its delicious.

Puha is watercress I think and its usually boiled up with pork bones. Or, according to legend, with Pakeha. A Pakeha is a white New Zealander.

And Kumera is a sweet potato.

I've seen vinegar in fish and chip shops - I think you probably have to ask for it because its not used as much here.

some place will do vinegar, or else you just take your fish and chips home and put it on. My mum is originally from Ireland and i picked up the vinegar thing from her, but i perfer tomato sauce!!!

Has anyone ever heard of cheesy weesys? My boyfriend sometimes gets them, its chips and they put cheese, tomato sauce and tartare sauce on it. I think it is also called road kill or chips and muck. Pretty gross in my opinion but he seems to like it.

I went to england a while ago and i fell in love with dandilion and burrdock, which we dont have over here. Got L&P though, which is good.

Whooo cheesy weesies sound good, just had lunch and now i'm hungry again from readin this thread :lol:

Yup, they are pickled gherkins floating around, but the only time I see em are when I pick em out of the Big Macs... those are gherkins right?? Something you gotta try.. Vegemite!

When I was a teenager living in the south island, vinegar on chips was easily available. Haven't seen it much since then.

I had a Dutch flatmate who had mayonnaise on chips, and I now know a few people who have mayonnaise on chips.

We also used to have "chip butties" as kids - chip sandwhiches. Isn't that an English thing?

Guess what I'm having for tea now after reading this thread!! Tarakihi and chips.

With vinegar on the chips for old times sake! :lol: