outside fish

obie trice

ie do i need a filter since its outside or are watre charges enough?

IMO filter is optional really, typically the fish loads in ponds id very low, and plant growth very high, due to the sun. I don't even do water changes in my pond, the rain takes care of that. In the hight of summer I might put the hose in for a while to top up the water and change a bit but thats all.

If however you want cystal clear water and not many plants you might want to look at a UV filter and pond filter.

I had 4 goldfish in a bath (left over from using them to cycle my African tank) and recently removed 50 fry from said bath :wink:

No filter, no feeding them or anything. Quite a bit of oxygen weed in there and very green water.

You can put a lot of barbs outside over summer. I bred rosy barbs in a paddling pool. Guppies will also cope outside in summer.

Leopardfish will go outside but I find them not so good as they are hard to see.

completely unintentionally, I left about 4 sword fry in a tank with about 10cm of water, gravel, no heater, no plants and no food :oops: and when I got round to cleaning it about 10 days later they all threw me evil looks, complained about the cold and were generally unappreciative about the fact. But STILL ALIVE :o

I apologised profusely and moved them to be with their brothers and sisters. :lol:

That was in a tank by the backdoor in the middle of winter. So, who knows, swords may be okay outside in the summer :-?

• 2 weeks later...

are there any fish that can go outside besides gold fish and can black moors go outside?

cheers

Black moors are a type of goldfish so yes, other fish i've kept out side are all types of WCMM, inangas and paradise fish. put a lily in their and u shouldn't need any type of filter or do any water maintenance just the occasional topping up of water during the dry summer days

im amazed by the amount of species you can put outside! if following this trend, it should be possible to keep

• ticto barbs aka cherry barbs
    Buenos aires tetras
    Pearl Danio
    and as mentioned before the rosy barb, we have a metallic strain in the uk that would look fantastic in a pond

unfortunately i cant try these fish myself as i live in the north of england where its a wee bit cold most of the time and no good for these fish.

do you have orfe, weather loach, tench or barbel out there?

also ive heard that Aphyosemion gardneri killifish are ok in cooler water but not sure if they would stand the cold as im not sure how low its gets where you are?