MY TANK CRACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oscar Sheila

So its Saturday morning, you're sitting down having a nice breakfast and a refreshing cup of tea with your father at the dining table opposite the tank when.....

*POP*

OS's Dad: "What the hell was that?"

OS: (Jumps out of chair to investigate) "Dunno, sounded like a heater blowing"

OS's Dad: "I certainly hope so"

*POP*

(OS sees the front pane of glass move in the direction it was never intended to)

So tank water was siphoned and bucketed quicker than you can imagine out the front door, and into the old tank as well, while we both held out breath and hoped like hell it didn't decide to go. Fish were relocated and 3 were put into the chilli bin to go to the lfs to be babysat.

Talk about lucky....

1 We were both sitting in front of it when it happened

2 It was a Saturday and I wasn't home alone

3 The weather looked dodgy so we decided not to go out and get a couple of sheets of MDF for the lid.

4 It didn't blow the front of it off and empty 179g of water/fish and gravel into the dining room.

The lfs guy is coming to do a home visit on Monday to assess it and redesign the bracing. I have told him that I only want 2 holes for access and I want him to base his design around the old tank. I'll post pics of that later.

[sigh] What a morning.

499309_1819059482382982120_vl.jpg

499308_6210788003401473378_vl.jpg

And I was worried about the stand breaking.

:roll: :lol:

Real bad news Sheila, and just lucky that you were in at the time with Dad to help.

Looking at the size I would think you needed at 'least' five or six braces from front to back for a tank that big.

Must have been a helluva pressure on that brace for it to break in that manner.

May have been just a sight chip on the front anti bowing strip, as it doesn't take much if there's a chip there to start things off, especially with that weight, but the guy will find the cause hopefully on Monday.

Glad you saved the fish and remembered to unplug the heater :)

It sounds like every fish keepers nightmare. WTG you and your Dad. Sounds like you saved the day.

The stand is level isn't it <------------my own personal worry re tanks for I read somewhere that even the small unlevelness can cause pressure on the glass.

Do you have insurance to cover loss?? Ours in included in our house contents.

Sounds like what you want is something similar to how my 440 L tank is. It's got about a 4 inch strip of glass on the left, a hole about a foot wide(With covers) about a 9 inch strip of glass, another foot wide hole and then a 4 inch strip on the left side. So it should be very well braced at the top. Maybe having yours rebuilt with 3 holes because it's a lot wider than 4 feet would be good? You don't want too few because then it'll be tough to get to some areas between them.

I've got long arms too.:) But for example my gravel vac doesn't work very well at much of an angle so doesn't work as well for the bit under the crosspiece and it's a pain in the butt cleaning algae off the underside of them.:( Just little things like that. I think making the crosspieces say 3-4 times as wide would be heaps of extra strength and should leave room for 3 smaller openings. Your tank, your choice though.:)

Thats a real shame, good save though. I've been through a similar thing, and its not cool.

A few questions. Does the tank sit on some ploystyrene (sp?) If not would strongly reccomend this.

Also looking at what you have currently, it seems OK but would suggest making the braces out of 10mm glasss. It looks like you have 3 braces but they are quite narrow, make them 2x as wide should be ample.

Be cautious in putting a large wide pieces of glass as the braces as it really can be a pain getting at things, long arms or not.

Also do you know why it cracked? I know of a tank in auckland that had a similar problem, it was from too much heat from the lights sitting right on top of the glass.

Good luck!

Jeez that was lucky!

Looks like the strip along the front and back is only about 50mm wide and 6mm thick!

That’s why the glass has let go.

It needs to be replaced with a single 100mm wide strip a minimum of 10mm thick. You could go to a 50mm and a 75mm joined together with the 75mm on top. The front to back braces look about 100mm wide. These should be 200mm. 2 braces are ok if you use the thickness mentioned. A 200mm wide piece at each end should also be used.

Due to the overlap of the 100mm front and back strip and the 200mm front to back strip you will have an area 100x200mm overlapped and full of new silicone. It will take several weeks for this to fully cure. You may want to look at using a 2 pack silicone just for this area as it will cure in 24 hours to 100% strength.

Don’t worry, this type of failure is not due to the tank being unlevel. It is purely due to the tension on the front to back brace. An unlevel problem usually causes the bottom to crack or one of the long side panels (front or back). The sides seldom crack unless they are made from thinner glass.

What are the exact overall dimensions of the tank?

Does the tank sit on some ploystyrene (sp?) If not would strongly reccomend this.

Yes. Of course it does.

making the braces out of 10mm glasss.

Good point. I shall suggest that to the tank maker tomorrow.....which is ah...today. (pm shift....who'd have em :roll: )

Be cautious in putting a large wide pieces of glass as the braces as it really can be a pain getting at things, long arms or not.

True, but as of now, I'm of the mind to make it too strong. :)

Also do you know why it cracked? I know of a tank in auckland that had a similar problem, it was from too much heat from the lights sitting right on top of the glass.

Because there was not enough bracing. It hasn't got the lid made yet, so no lights.

It needs to be replaced with a single 100mm wide strip a minimum of 10mm thick.

Yeah, it is only 50mm wide front and back, and it is two legths joined in the middle to make up the complete length. Apparently they don't make 6mm glass 2535mm long. (Exact length of tank) I shall suggest it, maybe they make 10mm that long.

The front to back braces look about 100mm wide. These should be 200mm.

I want them wider in fact. See pic below.

It will take several weeks for this to fully cure.

I don't care how long it takes, although B*tch Face might have a different opinion.

Don’t worry, this type of failure is not due to the tank being unlevel

I didn't think it would. Dad said the same thing, and it makes sense that the bottom or sides would go if it wasn't level.

What are the exact overall dimensions of the tank?

The bottom piece of glass is 2535mm long and 450mm front to back (wide). The tank is 650mm high. The front, sides and back panes of glass have not been brought in (towards the centre of the tank.

Oops, just looking at the photo again it looks like you actually have 3 braces. Still go with 200mm minimum width

There are 3 in the middle of the tank, and the two at either end.

Here is what I have in mind.

501514_2439404660441165347_vl.jpg

Sorry if it is a bit hard to interpret. I will post pictures of my old tank which has a top like it. Anyway, I know what I mean :wink:

There are no measurements on it as it is just a quick sketch. The front and back panes, along the length of the tank will be 100mm wide. The access point in the middle will probably not be quite that wide as it looks in the pic. The skinny little bits either side of the access points will be closest to the bottom of the tank,the idea of that is so that the glass flaps that can be opened will be recessed (sp?)so that the whole top is flush....

Man thats confusing, anyone who can work out what I mean by this pic deserves a chocolate fish. :D I'll post pics of the other one tomorrow, then you'll know what I mean. I need to go to bed.

I might suggest making all the holes the same size so that the glass covers are interchangable. Not really a big deal though.

My tank doesn't have a lip running around the top, just the braces on the top of the glass with a second bit on on the bottom of them like Warren says. And the rear corners are an open triangular piece to give room for the filters. Where do you run the plumbing for your filter? Seems like your tank is probably similar dimensions to mine, just an extra meter wide.