Tiger Lotus

JoandWilly

The lotus is well known for the large number of runners it produces. I had a large one, and in my experience with the plant I have found they only produce a maximum of three runners at a time, each time a runner is cut from the mother plant, a new one grows. Anywho, as the mother plant sends out its runners, it only grows leaves to the surface and the ones that were down the bottom soon die off (replaced by the runners' leaves). My theory with this plant is that you keep cutting off the leaves that go to the surface it forms a dense bushy plant with leaves close to the ground, along with its runners' leaves. That's what happened with my one anyway...as for 'training' the plant to grow at a certain height..what height do you want them?

Yeah just let it grow crazy, snipped the older leaves off as they were getting holy, ours have been propogating by runners, we have 2 smallish ones that will be up for sale soon(just removed the from the main plant and making sure they survive all good so far) and a third has just started to show itself

• 2 weeks later...

what does this plant look like? I wouldn't mind one for our 6ft when we move to our new house (have to find one first haha) as the 6ft tank is going to be my main display tank in the living room. Its an odd shaped one where its 2ft tall but only 1ft deep so its rather narrow but I think one of them plants would make an awesome centre plant :D

Cheers

yes I went straight there after doing this post. There seems to be a lot of variant in the same type of plant. Some are very green with light red specks while others are very red with a bit of green specks in them. Still an awesome plant that I would love a cutting from. :D

Google is our friend hehe

• 2 weeks later...