New Tank Project

GZ_Loach

Before I start I must say it has been a long long time since i have been on here, must have been about 2-3 years since my last post (I forgot my account information and what not).

Anyway.

153769895_full.jpg

Back in November I setup a 720L tank i picked up awhile ago and had it running very well and looking good when it decided it wanted to shatter one morning while i was asleep in the room next door!!! It sounded like the roof had been lifted off the house and a storm was passing over, its not something you can really imagine unless you have witnessed a large tank exploding yourself.

Here is what it looked like when it was setup and running for 2-3days, it looked alot better when the plants had grown out but i didn't get another photo of it before it exploded.

153767880_full.jpg

I managed to save most of the plants but ended up losing a few fish, including 3 Red Torpedo Barbs I had only bought the day before!!!!! there goes $120. (I did save one of the four tho)

After the insurance work was sorted out I decided to build a brand spanking new custom tank + stand to fit in with the yet to be renovated room, Dimensions of the tank are 12mm thick 200cm Long x 90cm Wide x 60cm High (1080 Liters) with a powder coated metal stand to match at 75cm High.

The tank has been completed but isn't ready to collect/setup as of yet becuase the room it will be going in hasn't been finished yet.

The filtration is going to be an Eheim Pro 3 2080

What I haven't decided on is the layout i.e plants, bog wood, rocks and fish. So any ideas and help is more than welcome.

At the moment I have a 350L tank with 5 Filament Barbs, 6 Clown Loaches, 7 Cardinals, 3 BN,2 German Blue Rams, 1 Siamese Algae Eater, 1 Red Tail Black Shark and 1 Red Torpedo Barb. This tank will still be running when the big tank is finally set up so not all of these fish have to go into it.

Depending on the fish i would really like a moderate plant set up, at the moment I have a 4 foot twin tube t5 HO light fitting that I can use on the new tank but I'll need to get another fitting due to having such a large gap to cover (900mm) so any recommendations for T5's or MH's under $500 would be awesome.

What I have thought about is a small group of Bala Sharks or something similar as I really like the look of the Barbs species and other related species, but I'm not sure it would be very practical having large fish as that rules out having small decorative fish like cardinals etc.

If someone in Hamilton can help me out with plants that would be great becuase the petshops I've been to don't have a very big range, Still working on the co2 system so no big hurry.

I will upload some photos as i find them.

P.s in case anyone is wondering, the tank broke due to the floor being uneven, has now been leveled out so I won't have this issue again.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about an amazonian comm tank with schooling fish; feature fish: flagtail, banded leporinus, nice fancy plecos. Then add variety of whiptails, headstanders (look at p44 thread in general fresh) and a large school of bleeding hearts. This might look nice.

When I was down in Hamilton at the tank crawl last year there was a spectacular looking tank with torpedo barbs in it which belonged to one of the Hamilton FNZAS members. If they come on to this forum and read this maybe you would be able to have a look.

There were lots of beautiful set ups that I saw, most of them planted.

A school of torpedo barbs would look quite nice.

The old 700L tank i bought was from a guy in the waikato who kept a large group of torpedo barbs, but most of them died when his c02 system reset during a power cut.

Where abouts can you go to get nice decorative rocks and bod wood?

With the price of excel and the size of your tank maybe you could run a couple of big DIY CO2 units until you have saved for a pressurized unit? You can get a cheap regulator off ebay for around NZ$100, and a bottle for around $200. I think before too long you would have recovered the costs that you would be spending on the excel. Just a thought.

To be honest I haven't got a c02 unit becuase unless I buy a brand new unit with all the control gear etc I wouldn't have a clue on how to use it lol, so if I bought a good 2nd hand unit I wouldn't know where to start with setting it up :facepalm:

Heres my holding tank:

5411177027_5309590ff5_b.jpg

5411177991_981cdbfb13_b.jpg

Your current tank looks cool - I like those filament barbs!

You should definitely try get pressurised CO2 as it's so much easier than DIY. I've got it and it made a big difference to the plant growth and helping control algae. It's not too hard to set up either (though I did ask the guys at the fish shop a million questions about it :lol: )

• 2 months later...

Finally the tank is arriving on Monday, was held up due to renovations.

So with the room sorted out and the tank arriving soon I decided I had better get my A into G and plan the layout, after looking at various setups I stumbled upon something interesting and decided to give it a go... this is the result 8)

mvc003fc.jpg

mvc007fn.jpg

mvc009f.jpg

mvc012fn.jpg

mvc013fw.jpg

mvc008fo.jpg

mvc015fd.jpg

mvc016f.jpg

mvc014fb.jpg

mvc017f.jpg

mvc018fc.jpg

mvc022f.jpg

Polystyrene and covered in resin with a black pigment added, took 4 hours to carve the poly, an hour going over it with a heat gun and then several hours to apply the first coat of resin ( first batch of resin i made too much of and the chemical reaction made it overheat and set really quick).

Excuse the poor quality photo's, couldn't find the digital camera :facepalm:

p.s this is my first attempt and making a 3d background :D

Looks awesome gz - well done! When I saw the first resin coated shot I was blown away. Really very very cool.

im thinking of doing something like that on my 12foot tank as a river bank scene.

Why am I not surprised you have a 12 foot tank? Is it the fibreglass one? sorry completely off topic.