Interesting plant in my pond

Ira

I'm just curious if anyone can identify a plant I've found in my pond. I'm not sure where it's come from because I didn't put it there.:) It grows like a green spherical puff about getting up to around 3 inches across and is made of a thin 1/2mm ish stem? that forks every couple millimeters. It's kind of an interesting little puffball, unfortunately it seems to not be able to handle warm water.:(

Ira said...

> I'm just curious if anyone can identify a plant I've found in my pond.

It's not Hydrodictyon reticulatum is it? A weed algae.

or perhaps Chara?

http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/prog/aquaticp ... ged-18.jpg

or Nitella?

http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/prog/aquaticp ... /submerged

Really, more info is needed (ideally a picture).

Andrew.

Nope, doesn't look like any of those you mentioned. Oh, I thought I'd said it was floating, not planted...I guess I need to learn that things I think at the keyboard sometimes don't make it into posts.:) I don't know what more of a description I can give, there's not that much to describe.

Sounds like riccia except the not being able to handle warmer temperatures (possibly that's due to too rapid temperature change, perhaps if it was acclimatised slowly?).

Ira - have a look at www.tropica.com under the entry for Riccia fluitans. In my experience riccia will form these puff ball things if it's not getting knocked about, otherwise it becomes a multitude of smaller pieces floating around.

Yes! I think that's it! How it got into my pond, I can only guess a fragment was on a plant I bought and survived until I threw the plant in the pond or on a piece I trimmed and threw in the pond. You think if I tried acclimated it for a little while instead of throwing it from the cold pond into the warm tank? Ok, I'll try that.

I know that riccia will grow in tropical tanks - hence my suspicion that the change in temperatures was just too much for it. Perhaps over a couple of days get it use to a tropical temp ie from pond to container in cool part of house, to warm part of house, to tank