Our new cichlid tank (with MDF stand!)

sharronpaul

With all the discussion re MDF stands, this is our new 6 foot cichlid tank, 340L, on a stand constructed of 18mm mdf, with an internal frame of 50x50 pine. :D

newtankandstand.jpg

Please excuse the lack of a hood (under construction) and the ugly 70's carpet (sadly there for the duration)

Stand is sealed, and then painted in textured metallic finish.

Thanks, Caryl and Steve.

Yes, Rogan, it's in our lounge - you'd recognise that carpet anywhere! :lol:

We're planning our big green sev, some silver dollars, some chocolate cichlids (thanks, mystic!) and a 35cm sailfin plec. And maybe some jewels if they work with the tank.

Other than that, we're waiting for fish to jump out and say "yes, pick me! pick me!" :lol:

crikey! thats a fair whack!!! i was thinking off cuts of wood (easy to get) sanded and painted :lol: oh, and some nice handles like yours! i might try talk my grandpa into helping me when he comes down next, i have the ideas and he has the skills :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

What a stand, WOW! Great job, geesh I wish I lived closer :(

I have a new 4' tank :P and trying to decide about a stand, hard to buy one here.

Since you have experience, ah question please...a stand made with 2x4's are they strong enough???????

2 x 4s will be enough - make your framing out of these, and screw plywood/mdf to the outside to give it some torsional rigidity (big words for making it flex-proof)

Our stand's structural strength comes from the MDF, I just put some timber bracing inside because I didn't quite trust the MDF not to sag over time. If you do use MDF, make sure it is well sealed.

:hail: Or you could fly me over and I'll build you one! :hail:

If I could I'd gladly fly you over, the only thing is, have to win the lottery :(

MDF is plywood????

:oops:

I stopped in at a Home Depot store the other day to see if I could get ideas and the guy said they could cut the wood for me.

My best friend built the last one for me, with help from my other best friend (his wife) :-? and ME :o

I've been trying to get some ideas by looking here and the net. I also want to go cheap but of course have a strong stand for my fishies! But, since I can't buy a stand here (unless, I can find somebody whose selling one) I'm thinking that building one would be the cheapest way to go. Plus, I want to do it or at least give it a try with some help.

What you need to do is make a frame with the 2x4's, then screw thin wood to the outside - that'll be more than strong enough.

MDF is a bit different to plywood, another name for it is customboard, it's made from wood fibers compressed together with a glue. You could also use triboard, which is MDF with a layer of thin wood on either side of the MDF.

Let us know how you get on.

• 2 months later...