Koi Swordtails

Billaney

Hi, I got a fantastic surprise yesterday , my Koi swordtails have been dropping over the past two days and so far i must have fished out about 75+ babies but the hugh bonus was that 3 of them are albino :P . I wanted sme Albinos but all i'd seen were either too expensive, i could not afford at the time of on trademe would not ship so I'm over the moon !. I'll seperate them from the others as they grow a bit and hipe i have male and female ( or one might change to give me a breeding pair, just can't wait !! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hi, I got a fantastic surprise yesterday , my Koi Swordtails have been dropping over the past two days and so far i must have fished out about 75+ babies but the huge bonus was that 3 of them are albino :P . I wanted sme Albinos but all i'd seen were either too expensive, i could not afford at the time of on trademe would not ship so I'm over the moon !. I'll seperate them from the others as they grow a bit and hipe i have male and female ( or one might change to give me a breeding pair, just can't wait !! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I know Billaney did tell me but I've forgotten. And shaddap Ira, I have tried googling it but just confused myself :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is a koi swordtail? Is it different to the ordinary swordtails or is it just another name for them?

Cheers

Dumb Jude

if you look at the swordtail from the top, it looked like a "koi" thus the name koi swordtail.

very popular fish at the moment. selling at a good price too. albinos are more pricy as its been harder to raise due to genetic problems.

Isn't it named because of it's coloration?

They have three different colours in three separate sections.

That's the only thing I could see it looking like a KOI, but it's definately not it's shape.

They look similar to a goldfish but a sure identity of them is to see barbels on the face which goldfish do not have. They can be obtained from some naughty LFS if you ask for "pondfish", but this is highly illegal.

A KOI is a fish that we have 1000's of up in the Waikato, but aren't allowed to keep, breed, sell, give away, or if your'e fishing, can't return them alive to the water.

They are bad at disturbing the base of ponds and rivers and causing the silt to settle on the plants and also lower the ??translucency?? of the water and literally killing all plants, especially noticable in some of the Waikato lakes.

Hunted by archers and speared after floods after being stranded in the water lowering. Also netted and then ground up for saltwater anglers to use as burlly.

Very expensive fish, depending on the colouration also Jude, like k's of $$s a fish.

Alan 104