July 15, 200620 yr comment_111331 hope ya dont mind puttputt, just tacking onto the end of your thread since i finally got the last 400W halide and reflector today. same config as yours. i mounted the ballasts on little shelves though to make lifting the lighting hood easier. other than that just the same! couple of questions... got any full pic's of your tank before and after the lights yet? also where did ya get the metal frame from? im looking for something similar when i get around to doing an upgrade, except that it'll be in 2 halves, hung on rails from the ceiling so it can be slid to the sides for easy access. Report
July 15, 200620 yr Author comment_111354 made the frame at work, and no, no pics yet, plenty of before, but will get the camera from work and take some after. Its made a big difference, as you know, tank much brighter, colours better, shaded areas in full light. Reef sems to think they are weak bulbs, but can't agree (with mine anyway). Much brighter than the arcadia unit, as I'd expected. And moved it down today, leather recovered ok Report
July 15, 200620 yr Author comment_111367 the reflectors are good, but so are the bulbs, the colours and the brightness. Report
July 15, 200620 yr comment_111371 Don't think the reflector brightens them up, would give a more even spread though. Report
July 15, 200620 yr comment_111373 sorry if i missed it but what type of bulbs are they, what k? All looks sweet Report
July 15, 200620 yr comment_111385 they are same brand as mine, narva's. cant comment on them specifically as i haven't used other brands to compare against. although in saying that, i cant complain on the progress thus far though! still got 2 x T5's to hook up just to kick the blue back a bit and bring a nice spread front and back. Report
July 15, 200620 yr comment_111389 cool thanks. Do they come in a single ended? EDIT double ended EDIT Whats the par like on them? Report
July 17, 200620 yr Author comment_111624 got a new camera today :bounce: :bounce: Heres some pics, still learning how to use it so they will get better LHS of tank RHS of tank purple stag Tri color i think sushi in all her glory Report
July 17, 200620 yr comment_111626 As per normal looks WAY better in real life! That purple acro doesnt even look purple, have a play with the white balance?? sez he who takes crap photos Report
July 17, 200620 yr comment_111632 got a new camera today whats up with everyone getting new cameras all the time! looking awesome, as steve says tutu with white balance Report
July 17, 200620 yr Author comment_111633 will get better, try these.... Purple acro pink milli blue and green stags blue tip and my favs, lhs and rhs from above Report
July 17, 200620 yr comment_111646 Hey Chemera, Come and take some pictures of my tank, Using 2 x 400w 14k in the Luminarc reflectors and the colours of my Acro's are fantastic. My whole system at home is now well over 2000ltr and i use 150w DE 14k over my soft coral propogation Tanks 250w 16000kDE 16k + t5's over my Acro Frag tank 250w 10000k + Antinics over LPS/Softies and my main display tank which is SPS dominated is 2 x 400w SE 14k. It is also a Zeovit System, uses natural seawater And as I have a good selection of bulbs using different Kelvin rating I can say that the lights on my display tank are the best I have used since I started keeping reef tanks in 1984. If anyone thinks that I am siding with my mate Steve, just PM me and come and see for yourself Nick Report
July 17, 200620 yr Author comment_111648 aaargh, Nick, Chimera is using the same setup as you and me??? and he is certainly very happy with his colour as well. We all have the 400W Narvas, 14k with the reflectors steve bought in. I think you are addressing the wrong person :oops: and I think the colours on my acros are pretty good too. :-? Report
July 17, 200620 yr comment_111650 I think your right Shawn, you need to take another look at nicks tank the colors are getting better by the week! As I'm sure yours will Report
July 21, 200620 yr comment_112313 I'm thinking light upgrade again....as my house is forsale and it's not my choice I think I can slip in a light up grade when I move and have too setup the tabk again. tank 1450 x 750 x 700D so I'm looking at 3 x 400w plus steves reflectors, balists in the roof. Do you have any T5'S on your tanks? Chimera / Putt Putt? This will increase my light from 750w too 1200w. I like the SS steel frame Putt Putt and are thinking the same, mine will be seen. Would you be happy for people to see the reflectors? After all they are a piece of art. After this I won't be allowed a grain of salt to add but it might be worth it. Its been a few weeks are you still pleased? Report
July 21, 200620 yr Author comment_112316 Yes very pleased duke, lights are stunning. Colours in the corals are starting to really come out and all growing well. No need for additional lights IMO, as the are a very nice blue already. I think Chimera still has some T5's going. The lights are good looking in an industrial sort of way Your welcome to come and have a look. Report
July 21, 200620 yr comment_112317 I would be keen just need to sort out a time. I'll pm you my phone number etc. Report
July 21, 200620 yr comment_112319 I think Chimera still has some T5's going. did, sold to wasp. keeping the last 2 to go front/back with the halides. however last months power bill was $450... aye carumba... Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.