Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Puttputts lighting upgrade.

Featured Replies

As you probably saw, have sold my Arcadia unit to skippy and am upgrading to 3 X 400w units using the new Lumenarc type reflectors.

The Arcadia unit is a cracker, but as I really like sps (I know Reef, so last year :lol: ) and hope to get better penetration down to the bottom of the tank to allow sps to grow and colour up at increased depth, and also get better throw of the light with the reflectors.

I've picked up the lights, reflectors and ballasts today, and organised some heavy duty timers and the sparkie at work is setting up a board with 3 outlets. I've made a tube frame to be suspended over the tank, which the reflectors will attach to and the ballasts etc sit on top of.

Should have all the bits tomorrow so will post picks of it in bits, and then assembled and over the tank. Looking forward to seeing the difference.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck and please post pics. I'm getting one this weekend and would be keen to see how you did the mounting of yours.

Would also be very interesting to have some comparison pictures a few months after the upgrade.

I'm hoping nicks will post pics of his as his acro's are looking stunning in just 4 weeks

certainly made the biggest improvement to my tank so far.

  • Author

well here they are in place and going, and the result is awesome. I really like the colour, and there are whole tank is lit, no dark areas.

Brilliant!!! :D

lites.jpg

yeah i know, but thats pretty damn high and he had reasonably good lighting before that too

puttputt - before and after shots of the tank itself?

  • Author

Steve's right. they will come down,(note the extra chain Chim) but there is a seriously high amount of light, and even at that height, it is shocking the leather at the moment.

Chim, thanks for the PM, I'll be responding soon :D . The tank looks great and the colours even better - very, very pleased so far.

That looks way cool!

Question: Why put the ballasts on the metal frame? Keeps them out of the way but I'd be concerned about the extra weight, and the heat from the bulbs.

  • Author

The metal frame was made strong!!!, specifically to carry the ballasts, and keep it tidy, the lights reflect the heat down, not much heat being generated up. The frame has wire mesh on it, to allow circulation.

  • Author

Thanks all. Duke, I was back as far as I can get in my little room :D .

I am stunned at the way these bulbs have brought the colours out in my corals. The blues and greens are glowing, the purples much more pronouced, its great. :bounce:

Hope to take some pic's when i borrow the camera from work, mines just a little fine pix rubbish thing. Need a better one.

You should get a big spread of light with the big reflectors.

Corals to tend to look better with a bit of blue, however whilst the arcadia bulbs are more white you do tend to get better growth but the corals look more washed out,

The narva 14k bulbs are really weak so you dont get great growth, they tend to have a low par rating. so there is always a trade off between looks and growth.

Found 400w bulbs are not that bright as i still have to run 8 x t5s. might try the iwasaki 6500k, but that would mean changing to mercury vapor ballast.

i still think 250w De bulbs are almost as bright as a SE 400w.

Are you running any glass covers?? pretty risky without them.

  • Author

Just have to see how the growth goes with these bulbs.

Don't have covers but do I need them, I thought only DE needed glass for UV protection.

These lights are considerably brighter, visually anyway, than the arcadias were even when they were new, and this is with them being so high at the moment.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.