Use Seawater or not?

reef

i cant be stuffed going to the beach that often just to collect water

??? its not that much effort :lol: plus you still got a bit of work to do mixing up asw :wink: ...not to mention the cost! do your tank a favour, give it some nsw and up those sewerage levels :D

What tests do you guys do prior to collecting the water, obviously ammonia but what else

Wait 3 or mores day with no rain. if water looks clear, its all go. There's not really anything thats going to be a problem in NSW that can be tested for.

obviously ammonia but what else

obviously? not in seawater, theres too much of it for ammonia to be a problem. you'd have to be collecting from a stagnant pool to get it that bad

main issue is higher than normal salinity (just add water :D )

I have thought about the cost and felt once I included my time and petrol etc it was cheaper to use asw than nsw. It takes less than 5 mins to make 80l of asw, but it would take me 3 hours to collect nsw. Do that once every month and the $200 I spend on asw per annum is cheap. Not too mention I know what I am putting in my tank and dont have to worry about rain etc

Same as Drifty here. It's at least a 45 minute drive out to get water, so an hour and a half driving worth of petrol, half an hour to an hour of time to collect it, not being able to collect for months because the weather and tides don't match my schedule...Easier with ASW...But, my tank is fubar anyway...

I'm lazy!! :lol: Use ASW at present. Much the same as Drifty though, only use a couple of hundred worth of ASW a year. But I did use NSW once but the tank didn't seem to like it much and one of my fish died :cry:

Not sure if it was the water or a coincidence. Despite what the media says about all the sewer spills in the BOI, the water is actually pretty good.

Once Puttputt gets up here, collecting NSW may be another excuse to get the boat out :lol: :lol: