Moisture in the house

JDM

My flat is so damp I think the equilibrium would actually end up putting water back into the tank when its set up.

Mould growing on clothes and mushrooms spouting out the floor is generally a sign that its a bit too humid. :lol:

Since I'm into fungi its actually pretty interesting!

you forgot to add the nice swimming pool in the back yard :D

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

old house has lots of holes for the air to escape, where as a new one is sealed up with no holes. Their solution is to put catches on a window in each room so it will be permanently open to allow air to escape. Having an open window defeats the purpose of having the system imo

we have mega-condensation on the windows, everywhere. 25 yr old house completely rennovated but already mold around one bedroom window - unreal!!! so, am going to look at HRV or DVS today, i checked out both web sites and they basically look like they achieve the same thing so I guess it comes down to cost? has anyone had any issues with one or the other? anything that you dont like about it? i read that spores on the windows can also cause issues with (or cause?) asthma. i have mild asthma myself and dont want my kids to potentially suffer the same issues. are there any other systems that can be used for condensation control? (other than a dehumidifier on 24x7!!!)

i had a look on both hometech and dvs web sites, i thort the hometech one look better in the digrams but i think its a personal opnion thing as they both do the same thing as far as i can see.

im going to the local electrical wholesaler todat to have a look at buying a system and installing it my self, ill post some prices of what i find. :o

just been to the electrical wholesalers, my man there said that bunnigs are the place the place to go as they sell it cheeper than any wholesaler can buy it for :o:o

i will call into bunnings tomorrow hopefully and see what they can do. 8)

just out of interest my guy at the wholesalers can do a smart.vent proseries vent kit (with control board and all fittings etc) fot $1040 :-? . that kit is designed to do a 140 sqm home. :o

im in the electrical trade, :wink: this isnt a cheep budget vent kit, it is totally quiet and is acousticly insulated, the motor/fan is dampered to prevent any noise, it is filtered as well, its trade list price is $1768. 8)

i dont want a budget one as the fan noise will drive me nuts :( , so i may well end up buying the one i looked at, but i should still check out bunnings to be sure. :wink:

Chim, i would recommend HRV to anyone, we had such a condensation problem, water pooling on the ledge and so on.

I have never used dvs but no a few people that have them and arent that impressed( appologies to dvs users ), hrv instal vents in every room possible, and the filter is better quality than dvs(but way more expensive to replace).

Just my two cents, Dvs might be all good, but you wont go wrong with hrv :wink:

hrv is more expensive than dvs beacuse they will put a vent in all of your bedrooms and your main living area, dvs dont normally do that though. Hrv system is very easy to use costs I think around $2000 for a 3 bed house

yeah got a dude from HRV coming around next tuesday night to explain how it works (looking at the web site its not rocket science :wink: ) and give us a price. the inlaws got there home done cost them about $2.5k or so. if I did DIY and it came within $500 or so of that i'd rather just pay HRV to install - at least it comes with warranty and you know it works :D problem is with bunnings is those systems are usually "cheap" in terms of quality too, as above, noisey fans for example. also they typically suck you in to it by advertising the entry level price, then you work out you have to add on extra $$$ for more rooms then the controller is basic, oh you need this one its $$$ more and by the time you've finished, you're not far off a professional system :D we got 4 bed + study so im picking it's going to be the higher side of $2k :( will see what they say...

let us know chimera, ive got a 4brm home so will probably be in the same ball park price wise.

i might give them a call and get them to quote on it, be easyer than doing the install myself, and i agree that bunnings have a cunning plan for selling "cheep" products. :wink: so a pro job will be better all round i would say. :roll:

My house is a small two bedroom with a study, 97 sqm, and HRV installed 5 vents, every room + study.

Dvs came around and said one vent will be enough, personally i dont think so.

Nice work chim, will be interesting to see what you think, i checked my windows last nite and we had a tiny bit of condesation on them, but nothing major, mind you its been really cold and we have had the heater blasting.

My house is three bedroom. DVS initially wanted to put in one vent but I insisted on two so we could shut off one end of the house and it would still have a vent. I've had it for over 6 years and wouldn't be without it. I used to have so much condensation the water would run off the sills and onto the carpet, I haven't had any since it was installed.

So whether you choose DVS or HRV, I am sure you will be pleased with the result.

Cheers

Jude

This has turned into a very interesting topic as i think most of us have problems with condensation. I believe double glazing is the way to go when building a house especially in the colder parts of NZ. I will be looking into having one of these ventalation system installed in my house sometime soon. I have two underfloor gas heaters in the lounge and dining room and when these are used the comdensation is huge. Word is to have a window open but then all the heat escapes out the windows you are continually trying to keep the rooms warm by turning the thermostat higher.

My six cents worth

Mark

I believe double glazing is the way to go when building a house

As long as you dont mind paying twice as much for your windows :lol:

I reckon heat pumps are the way to go, heating, cooling, removes condensation, and cheap to run