UV sterilizer vs Ozone

Cyberfin

I'm planning to have multiple tropical fresh water tanks sharing one large sump filter. As a security measure I'm considering installing a Ozone or UV sterilizer. As far as I can tell they seem to do the same thing. Does anyone feel one is better than the other re: cost, maintenance, efficiency?

I don't know whether 2watts per 1000lt is correct or not but uv will not work properly if the water passes by the bulb to fast not giving adequate contact time.

The spec's on any potental unit will tell you what that is.

I run a 40watt uv unit for 4000lt system with no prob's, but you really do need to change that bulb when it's due.

Yes you need less uv to kill algae were as what I do is kill 97% of all life form in the water before it hits the tanks making the chance of whitespot or what ever emigrating from tank to tank very low, imagine having to treat 4000lt for whitespot doing a 30% water change per day :o no thanks

The / an organism can be already there waiting for a weak fish or you can introduce it.

I have a multi tank system, the uv helps alot but nathing is full proof after all people make mistakes :(

Don't misunderstand what I just said I serive my uv properly every year and I would not be with out it!!!!

Even if you do get a problem in one tank the uv will reduce the chance of it getting into another tank, I introduced white spot not long after I got uv in my filtration it didn't spread to other tanks.

I did end up having to isolate that tank for treatment but better that then have 1000 lt to treat with large water changes dayly :o