pros and cons of running an external through bottom of tank

peanuts

am getting (or hubby is getting) a five foot tank built for his cichlids, we are still deciding exact dimensions but probably 1500 x 500 x 450

and will be running an external filter a 1200litre.

the query is whether to run this with the hoses coming into the top of the tank OR plumbing the pipes through the bottom of the tank.

which would put less stress on the tank and the filter?

Costs more to have holes drilled through the bottom of the tank, less flexibility in moving the hoses around, more chance of leaking. Only good reason to plumb a cannister through the bottom of the tank is to save a little bit of lose length and it's nowhere near worth the disadvantages, IMO.

Peter at Port Nicholson is building the tank and when discussing with him he was suggesting the holes in the bottom and putting the fittings in when making - we are wondering what the stresses would be on the filter.

totally agree with Ira its not worth the hassle but don't agree with no stress as i am assuming u would have the filter lower than the tank there for a lot of water pressure straight to the filter.

i run a Aqua One 1200 on my 5 foot [1500x600x600mm] i know my filter does not have the strongest seal on it and with around 500litre of water pressure it would leak for sure unless ur using a non conventional external filter.

i didnt think it was a bad idea but i have not tried it before ,i am more inclined to go over the back like i have done on all my tanks

it seems less likley to turn to custard on me, but didnt want to discount it either so i thought i would seek advice

Fishboi, the filter, I'm assuming, is going to be sitting on the floor, or at least about the same height in either case. So the static head on the filter is going to be the same either way. Changing the plumbing isn't going to change the static head.

good point i was thinking more if the hose is coming from above the tank its sucking the water out at the rate of the pump but if the hose is though a hole at the lower part of the tank all the weight of the water would rush in to the filter system it self causing it to leak or burst.

never actually had a tank running like that before so just what i think would happen that's all. no direct attack at u Ira sorry if i offended u :oops:

I've seen it done recently, hides the plumbing nicely, makes access a bit easier (ie. not having to feed plumbing up and down back of tank to clean pipes), 100% first time priming of filter :lol: if dont properly I dont see that it is any more risky than a closed loop in a salt water tank, that basically what it is.

We plumb through the bottom of the tank all the time. It is much tidier, no messy looking hoses everywhere. Peter knows what he is doing so there will be no problems with the strength of the tank - you just have to make sure the holes are the right size for the filter fittings. We put a strainer on the input (into filter) and attach a pipe to the output which you can cover with black insulation tape and have it going up to almost the water line.

You'll probably want to put a ball valve on them too so you can take the hoses off to clean them and similar. That was one of the most annoying things with hex that was plumbed through the bottom. If I wanted to try and run a hose brush through the hoses I had to sit there with a bucket shoving the brush up the hose as water poured out and sprayed everywhere. That's with the only valve on the hoses at the end where it plugs into the cannister.

I saw Peter today and saw the tank he showed you which he set up for Fluval filtration - you have to make sure you have the right size for your filter. If you purchase a second set of taps you can turn off under the tank and have another on the filter which makes for easier cleaning of the filter. Very ocassonally the strainer may get blocked with a stone and you might have to use a large plastic bag around hose and turn on and unblock with pipe cleaner. That will prevent a mess and spraying everywhere. You will be able to tell if it was blocked because the water would drain slowly. Hope that makes sense - I am terrible at explaining.

HI Peanuts,

just something to watch out for.... 1500 is not 5Foot, 5 Foot is about 1540. I have got a 5ft tank and almost bought a stand from the LFS. The stand was described as "5 Foot" but it was actually 1500. So if you have a stand already or have got one in mind, double check they are the same dimension. :)

Hi Peanuts

We have just re-done our freshwater tank and have plumbed two fluval 404s through the bottom. I was dubious at first but partner Mark (Pies) insisted ! It all seemed very easy, although Mark is quite knowledgable with his plumbing because of having the marine tank.

I am very pleased we did it this way, it looks heaps tidier, very easy to get the filter going, and we can have the tank right back against the wall. I can't think of any reason NOT to do it this way. Mark (with Suphews help) even drilled the 4 holes themselves !

You are welcome to come for a looksie anytime if you can't wait for the next 'installment' of the tank crawl :o)

Jane

ive made a decision i am going to plumb the tank from the bottom i think it will look cleaner , i only have to find out a way of spreading the flow along the tank to give me good movement, have to say though you guys are tops when it comes to sounding out things, now i know why it gets used so much in this house