tank - with and without T5's

chimera

Here's a full tank shot, 3 x 150W halides only.

tankfull-060502.jpg

Here's a full tank shot the following day, 3 x 150W halides + 4 x T5's (2 white, 2 blue) It's only after I put these on did I realise how poor my lighting was. Huge difference!

tankfull-060503-T5s.jpg

Now the test continues again, will be interesting to see if acro's colour up THIS time!!!

2 blues, 2 whites. it sucks without the blues, looks too yellow. the 2 blues even it out perfectly. awesome white balance now. stoked. if its not enough lighting though, probably get a big mutha 400W'er in the middle.

you must be real happy and almost kicking yourself for not doing it sooner

oh HELL yes!!!

the before now looks like a good twilight shot.

hahaaa! wife said "it looks like you just had a night light on before" so true. maybe i should get 5 x 400W'ers instead then buy shares in the local power company :D

Im considering gruntier halides, but as a test, I want to see how well the sps respond to the new lighting. if no improvement in a couple of months (and gonna see if i can get wasp to test my water with his colormeter at some stage - so assuming thats all ok) then i try 400W'ers... :-?

how deep is your tank?

Pretty standard, 600mm. All SPS are halfway or higher, all softies and LPS are nearer the bottom. LPS/softies respond well to the light they had, opened up, very large when polyps extended, good colour. Issue is SPS. I think its highly likely to be lack of lighting after seeing before and after shots!!!

You should come have a look you slackarse

it's true, i should, i will.

jetski ur finally back :D will see how the T5's shape up. the evidence in 'lack of lighting' is substantial without the T5's - just look at the number of shaded areas in the first photo, first page. will see what happens in the next few months - proof is in the pudding!

type T5? brand you mean? narva i think. 4 foot so dont quite cover the length of the tank but because of the spread, they still work brilliantly. reflectors came in from singapore (the bulk purchase organised by puttputt) contact jetskisteve hes got heaps of T5 gear.

100W T5's must be quite intense, these are 54W bulbs and the combo of all 4 are bright enough. The additional 216W added from four of them makes a considerable difference (even 3 are brighter IMO than a single 150W halide - purely because the better spread of light) In terms of brightness, i think its really what you're used too. I used to think 3 x 150W'ers looked good until I added the T5's. IMO the real key is getting the combined colour spectrum just right (both aesthetically and for photosynthesis), if I don't have the 2 x blue T5's on it looks way too yellow. Happy with it right now, just hoping this is what it takes to start getting acro's colouring up again. I noted one such photo showed an acro that was starting to colour up nicely to a good purple colour, looking at the same acro now its gone backwards. I know it takes the right combination of all things to get good colour - at that time it was the calcium reactor that packed up and all water chemistry parameters went out the door that caused it. Once those get back on track as well as the additional lighting, I'm confident things will progress along much better.