Ammonia

BenAKL

My best guess is that your tank has never "Cycled" which means building the bacteria in the filter to turn your ammonia into nitrites then into nitrates (plant food). Ease up on the water changes and add a product called Cycle or Stress Zyme. If a nice local fish person is willing to help out they can contribute some filter media to add to yours to get it sorted. Good luck!

cycle doesnt work at all, its not refridgerated so contains no beneficial bacteria at all (im not sure if it comes with some but theyd soon die from pollution or starvation as the refridgeration makes them lie dormant), cycle is meant to cycle your tank instantly i think and it wont thats for sure. i think the stress zyme may be to feed the bacteria? the only product i know of that can almost instantly cycle your tank would be bio-spira which isnt available in nz.

because you are doing the water changes you may be slowing down the cycle (not sure how to convert m/l to ppm) but you just have to do extra work to keep your levels in check, water changes do that but it doesnt seem to be working in your case? you dont have ammolock in there do you or anything else like that? what are your nitrite and nitrate readings? i agree with misnoma, see if you can borrow some gravel or even better filter media from a person with a HEALTHY tank and that should get things moving.

hope it works out for ya :wink:

I've used good old garden dirt to kick-start the cycling process. Lets face it, the same denitrification goes on in the garden. Apart from making the water dirty for a short time it seems to work really well... You need the moist dirt from 25mm or so under the surface - where the air still gets to so the bacteria are aerobic and not anaerobic.

I have found best way to cycle tank is to buy some feeder fish from the LFS and chuck them in there for a week or two. If they dont die your tank is cycled. I dont believe in Chemically fixing a tank as it stuffs up the natural balance in the tank. As well as killing any good bacteria in the tank as well.

The only chemical I will add is about a tablespoon of PH Up to my tank once every 3-6months and maybe a bit of Melafix which is to fix the fish not the tank.

Steer away from the chemicals as your fishand good bacteria wont like them and your bad bacteria will love them.

Like I said originally, if you have ammonia the nitrifying bacteria are not doing their job properly. Cycling is about getting the system going properly to complete the nitrogen cycle. I do it the old fashioned way like granddad use to do. Set up the tank to grow plant, including silt to feed the plant (which will contain some nitrifying bacteria. This makes a user of the nitrate end of the equation,then add fish very slowly to produce the urea for the ammonia and then nitrite. Any of the natural suggestions will work if you give the cycle time to reach a balance. You have a small tank so things can get out of balance easily as you have little of the "buffering" you have in a large tank.