Fluval FX5

Faran

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a sneek peek at the FX-5 a while back and it is impressive.

It can also be tuned down to handle smaller tanks as well.

Alot of the noise created by cannister filters is caused byair being trapped in the cannister. Fluval have overcome this by purging the air every few minutes.

These cannisters work extremely well on Tall tanks

Great Price as well

MTCW

Bruce

i just ordered one and should come next week...

how much media do i need?

You're going to need enough media to fill two baskets approx 25cm wide and 10cm tall. I recommend a large bag of ceramic noodles but you're free to use anything you want. The middle basket is for bio-chem zorb or phosphate remover or whatever "special need" filtration media you may need/want. Otherwise you have three baskets to fill with whatever you want ;)

Hi B&K - So is this on a Discus tank ? Was wondering about the CO2 system you mentioned so wondering if its a planted aquarium now ?

Yes, this is in a 460L well planted discus tank. The fluval 404 intake/output on the left side of this picture has been replaced with the FX5 intake on the right bottom corner and the output on the top left corner. The tank is FULL of runners (pup stalks from the marble swords) and looks a bit unsightly but I'll get some decent pics up once they settle down... IF they settle down ;)

6b725036.jpg

Alot of the noise created by cannister filters is caused byair being trapped in the cannister. Fluval have overcome this by purging the air every few minutes.

Yup, a very nice machine and I suppose I could turn it down (which is quite easy with the adjustable intake/output valves) but haven't found the need quite yet. The air purge actually happens only once per 24 hours but a very cool feature none the less. I used to have to climb under the tank and play with my other canisters when they got noisy but with this one I just come back in the morning and it's quiet as a mouse again :)

eheim has the pro 3

http://www.eheimasiapacific.com/pro3.htm

dunno how much it will cost

Well, the Pro 2 series has a $750 RRP and it does 1050lph so I'm guessing the Pro 3 will have a price tag twice that of the FX5 when it finally lands. Also the Pro 3 has a rating of half that of the FX5 and none of the cool features like the smart pump, purge valve, separate hose connections (to easily hook up a drainage hose), etc etc. Gotta love those castor wheels though. That's worth an extra $1000 alone!

NOTE TO FX5 OWNERS

When shutting off the valves on this machine extra care should be taken to shut off the intake valve before the output. If you do this backwards a decent amount of pressure builds up in the machine which rewards you in about 1L of water coming out of the first available opening. The use of the purge valve on the bottom would be a good way to avoid this in the future. VERY easy to use.

You're going to need enough media to fill two baskets approx 25cm wide and 10cm tall. I recommend a large bag of ceramic noodles but you're free to use anything you want. The middle basket is for bio-chem zorb or phosphate remover or whatever "special need" filtration media you may need/want. Otherwise you have three baskets to fill with whatever you want ;)

woah thats alot of media, what did you use in yours?

i got a big bag of eheim stuff but i think it will only fill one basket :cry:

I used all the ceramic noodles from a Fluval 204 that was being retired with the intro of the FX5 as well as all the ceramic noodles that I had laying around the fish room. Took all of them and even had a bit of room to spare. Middle basket has a big bio-zorb bag and Phosphate Remover.

my review of the FX5

first thing you will notice is the giant box it comes with, you can fit two fluval 304 boxes inside the FX5's box!!

setting up is very simple, hardest part is to find a home for it cause of the size. Cut and run the tubing, plug in the intake and out take, add water and your done...

now i've always been a big fan of the fluval filters but the FX5 feels like the quality isnt there, the canister feels like a bucket and the media trays feels cheap. The FX5 just doesnt have a solid feel to it compared to my eheim 2028. Also the FX5 is twice as loud as the eheim 2028

Fx5 is like having a powerful japanese car, cheap, fast and loud but not a solid feeling to drive compared to the eheim which is more of a european sports car, not as fast but feels alot better to drive, the feel of quality

conclusion

Fx5 is a value for money buy considering the spec's. IMO i would get the eheim if you have a 500l or under tank anything over i would get the FX5

if anyone want pics just ask and i'll take some for you

elmo, how long have you been running it? When I drain my FX5 to work on it it's often noisy for a few hours until the last few bubbles are gone then it's quiet as a mouse. As I said in the review above, if it's noisy just come back later and it fixes itself (smart pump air purging). Have you done a water change yet? Purged the gunk from the bottom valve during maintenance?

Yes, it feels like a bucket - but anything this size would. Admittedly, the media baskets are a bit flimsy but considering I've only had to deal with them twice thus far it's a moot point.

Last point, this is the first filter I've ever had that had a decent strainer on it. It's huge and not easy to hide but at least it does its job. The Eheim 2028 attachments were just silly. The FX5s tank clamps are pretty tough as well, and you can adjust for an unusual top-of-tank situation (like a frame bracing). The Eheim brackets are literally designed for Eheim tanks and that's about it.

I think it's a wide spread opinion that the Pro series of Eheims aren't comparable to the Classics.

had it running for 3days now and yip i did a water change with the valve at the bottom which is really good

the strainer is huge and kinda looks like a soap holder, not really pretty looking since its hard to hide especially if you have a smaller tank

oh i find both FX5s and 2028s attachments silly, they are so big and clumsy, really hard to work on my tank since i have limited room with my lights

p.s i upgraded my lighting running 4 x 5ft 58watt tubes now, plants bubbles like a airstone now :D

.... you don't do a water change with the valve at the bottom. You get a 1" (2.5cm) hose and attach it to the extra quick release they supplied with the filter. You stick the hose out the window and turn the filter on and it drains the tank in a matter of minutes.

/me needs to get new lights...

couldnt be bothered turning off the filter so i just plug a hose into the bottom valve and close off the 'out' tap on the top and open the valve at the bottom. Works like a charm no unclipping the hose, no need turning off the filter, no water spills :wink:

evilknieval69, will post photos tonight or tomorrow

sorry for the poor photos but i still have alot of trouble taking photos of the tank with the lights and the camera flash

start with the FX5

DSC01485.jpg

thats a large can of colourbits

DSC01474.jpg

The HUGE strainer

DSC01472.jpg

out take. this thing is cool, dual out take and the best thing you can adjust the direction you want the water to blow

now my tank, coming up to two months old on the 11th of this month, so the plants havent grown the way i want yet and the discus are very camera shy

DSC01467.jpg

DSC01477.jpg

Elmo, as discus aren't much for enjoying currents or fast-flowing water I highly recommend pointing the outlets towards the glass rather than into the tank.

This is my tank with filter underneath:

FX5web.jpg

And a shot of the output directed into the corner - my CO2 diffuser is directly beneath it and the bubbles get blasted throughout the tank -

FX5outputweb.jpg

And an angle shot of the tank... as you can see, my discus aren't shy at all and the tank has purposely been set up with lots of medium height plants to discourage them from hiding. This makes them friendly and sociable.

FX5angleweb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, just had a read of this thread, got me thinking. What about adding one to my AR620T marine :o an extra 30 ltrs and the added flow would be great :D wouldnt have any media though, prob be like a spa in there :lol: i like the duel output too.

LOL, you Marine guys are nutters. I doubt any freshies would ever think of spending $600+ on some water flow and a couple extra liters :) But on that same thought, you obviously have different needs and wants to a freshwater aquaruist and I appreciate that. The FX5 would be a great "stream" (I think that's what you call them) for about... what, half the price?

Dual output is nice, too bad it doesn't rotate for reef tanks...

Would be good for running phos resin, carbon, zeolite etc, but seems an expensive way to get a little extra flow, you could buy a steam without a controller for the same money and get tons more flow. As long as the water stays in the tank you can't have too much flow, there are people with 100x turnover in their tanks.