Magnesium

Fay

Ta for that should I ask for a grade

and is that the only magnesium I need Cracker said something about epsom salts once?

Also should I be adding it to keep it up to 1300 and how low is to low?

Never was a problem in my small tank used the liquid stuff from the LFS weekly.

Ta for that should I ask for a grade

and is that the only magnesium I need Cracker said something about epsom salts once?

Also should I be adding it to keep it up to 1300 and how low is to low?

Never was a problem in my small tank used the liquid stuff from the LFS weekly.

Look for food grade at least. Magnesium chloride is used a lot in farming, and that grade (to me) is unacceptable.

Epsom salts is Magnesium sulfate. Magnesium chloride is preferable to mag sulfate, as chloride is more abundant in salt water than sulfate, an skews the chemistry less. If you want to get technical you could use a balance of sulfate and chloride.

Layton

Straight magnesium chloride is OK, but if you want to get sulphur & chloride ions balanced use 10 parts magnesium chloride to 1 part epsom salts.

I got a 25 kg sack of magnesium chloride from a local farm supplier, cost $18.00. Not sure about quality but it says food grade. Anyhow doesn't seem to have adverse effect in the tank.

They add it to food for cows getting milked, cos the milking removes more magnesium from them than our typical NZ soil can replenish.

Long as magnesium in the tank is above 1250 that's fine, don't go over 1450.

What I done now though is add some magnesium chips to the calcium reactor so only have to add the other stuff occasionally.

Straight magnesium chloride is OK, but if you want to get sulphur & chloride ions balanced use 10 parts magnesium chloride to 1 part epsom salts.

I got a 25 kg sack of magnesium chloride from a local farm supplier, cost $18.00. Not sure about quality but it says food grade. Anyhow doesn't seem to have adverse effect in the tank.

They add it to food for cows getting milked, cos the milking removes more magnesium from them than our typical NZ soil can replenish.

Long as magnesium in the tank is above 1250 that's fine, don't go over 1450.

What I done now though is add some magnesium chips to the calcium reactor so only have to add the other stuff occasionally.

A. I think you mean Sulphate, not sulphur.....????

I dont bother with sulphates, as I do large water changes.

• 3 weeks later...

See 'water chemistry calculators' section on the 'sticky' post at the top of the saltwater section for others

Anyone know if Medchem deliver? I've already sent an email asking them, save me driving out to St Lukes (mind you, I think Im heading out that way tomorrow :-? )