Looking for advice - Some fish staying near the top....

iisfaq

My conditions:

Size : 300l

Amonia : 0 ppm

Nitrite : 0 ppm

Nitrate : 0 ppm

PH : 7.0

Temp : 82f

I have noticed that some of my fish are staying near the top of the tank, Angles (2 of 6) and 1 small Discus.

Also last night one of the large Discus did not come out to eat - he hid at the top of the tank near the bank. This does appear to be his home but normally a good eater.

I did remove a lot of plants yesterday and then did a 15% water change.

I live in Christchurch and our water should be great.

Should I add some stress coat in case the fish are stressed by the removal of the plants. There is still a lot of plants but not really any now floating over the top of the tank.

The tank is now a lot more open in the front.

Chris

Very nice looking tank !!

I think Caryl has the correct answer, add an air stone the oxygen level sounds like its a little low :)

That does sound about right - the amount of plant material I removed could have been about 40-50% and that would reduce the amount of CO2 to Oxygen conversion.

I have never had a air stone in the tank before.

Chris

Could always be gill flukes causing problems but don't jump the gun and start treating for that unless you know for sure. Caryl is on the ball, as usual. I usually keep an airstone in my discus tanks as the warmer water makes it the extraction of the oxygen harder.

Beautiful tank... are your two adult discus showing any signs of breeding?

Beautiful tank... are your two adult discus showing any signs of breeding?

Thanks for the comments on the tank, I really don't know if I have a pair or what...

I think the PH is too high for Discus to breed.

I think I will buy a air pump tomorrow and use it for a few days and see if it impoves the situation.

Chris

might not be too high! had a mate whos discus spawned at 8, more frequently than at a lower ph and eggs had less fungus? of course he said it may have had something to do with it being more stable and i think a stable ph is better than a less than ideal ph! can you somehow alter your filter so that the water going back in 'pours' into the tank more? it'll increase airation a bit.

you do have a beautiful tank!! no probs at feeding time with angels?

you do have a beautiful tank!! no probs at feeding time with angels?

The Angles are pretty keen to eat and the large Discus are also keen so they sort of balance themselves out.

The smaller Discus probably struggle a bit but then I also probably overfeed so they are OK at the moment.

I thought of moving the exit hose from the filter to near to the top to make some more bubbles but because of the design of the tank it has to be below the water line.

The tank is a corner unit and it came with its own filter unit at the back of the tank. I was unhappy with this unit as it was noisy and did not seem to do a very good job. I bought a new extenral filter and it works great.

The problem is that the old filter is part of the lid of the tank so it has to be there. It also protrudes into the water which means that I can not place anything near it up so make bubbles. I would then have to buy more tubing for the external filter as it only just reaches now.

The tank is great and overall is working well, the Amonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite are all 0 so the biological filter is working wonders.

The plants grow really well due to the substrate I am using.

Substrate_12Nov2005.jpg

I think I may have pruned a bit too much sinc I probably removed 50% of the plants but that is because they do grow so much and so fast.

Chris

• 2 months later...