guppy growth rate

Grizzly

I would say normally LFS guppies are around 3 months - 6 months age. depends what kind of shops. some even sells really young ones like babies. well...maybe not, that may have been babies that a female drop in there that survived. :lol:

My guppy growth rate is about as follows.

a month time - my guppys grow about 1.5cm

2 month time - colours showed up and matured to young adult

3 months - tails develop and ready to breed.

from what i have read on net

Guppies Growth = health + environment + nutrition

thats the formula to remember. :lol:

a maximum growth which is tightly linked to genetics, environment and feeding.

Guppies with good genes has goodhealth, good appetite and overall good shape and tail size.

they adapt with quite a range of water condition. but environment around 7-8 pH is good. Water quality has to be good. remove excess leftover food and do water change regulary. The crucial is the temperature. temperature difference with determine a slow or quick growth. other issue such as overcrowding in a small tank, growth may be stunted from the potential growth size.

Regarding nutrition, you know it, it is the food they are consuming. Food scale range from dry and frozen products and live food.

live food is good. but i prefer to use bbs as other cultures like fruit fly worms, microworms are limited when feeding to hundreds of guppies. they are foul the water easily too. bbs are easily hatched and you can determine how much food you need. Variety of food is the key. i feed my guppies flakes + bbs + spirulina. dont overfeed and keep the water clean and your guppies will grow up fast and strong in no time.

oh yea, thanks for that :) my guppys dont seem to be growing that slowly then, im only feeding them crushed Tropical Crumbles so its powdery. i just take about 15L out of the tank a week, thats on a 2foot tank. so maybe 50%? we are on tank supply

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i have 3 baby guppies in a 20L tank. they seem to be taking forever to grow!

maybe i should feed them brineshrimp? or will they grow faster in a bigger tank?

Afore mentioned growth rates seem about right to full size depending on conditions. I''d estimate some are getting close to full size in 10 weeks but most a little longer.

I currently have around 1800 guppies at a guess... the nickname "millions of fish" seems fairly appropriate.

Feeding regime includes sometimes several dried flake feeds daily and brine shrimp daily.

Large tank definately helps as do water changes... one of my rules of thumb is... if in doubt, change more water... if they look sad, change more water.

In answer to your question specifically... I'd give them both if possible.

Even my adults enjoy a bit of brine shrimp regularly... anything really they just like to eat.

Hope thats helpful.