Power cut

PETEYPLECO

Did anybody else have the power out on the north shore tuesday 24TH !

Mine was out from 3pm to 10:30pm, during this time I kept a close eye on my fish who looked most unhappy, temp had dropped 4 deg ! I drained out approx 10 ltrs of water and replaced to try and keep the water somewhat clean. I was told by the power company if any die to take a photo of the beloved deceased and they would replace them - so far no deaths though.

Any other tips to keep fish happy in the case of power loss?

take one hose,put one end in tank and take other end and BLOW

the power company will pay for your losses but that dose not fix the fact that your fish die

in a power cut i cover my tanks in blankets and poly.

gas heater in the room to keep the temp up.

a good water change

about a year ago the power was off here for 12 hours and i lost a batch of jags and it defrosted some meat in the frezer.i rang up and put in a clame and they sent me a cheque for $100.00. $50 for the fish and $50 for the meat.

you have to ring them up when the power goes off and tell them that you have fish that will die without power for to long.then they regester your name and address. this makes it easyer when it comes time to clame

cooked a lot of steak that night(friends for a BBQ)no wasted meat and the jags were only a week old anyway and soon replaced.

would hate to think of what a big marine tank would cost to replace

our power was out from 1pm to 3am, a tree behond our house fell on the lines, and at 2am the powerguys came, WITHOUT a bloody chainsaw!! so they used ours.

my guppy tank got down to 24.8, and wouldnt get lower which was good, and the larger tanks were a tad warmer

No don't call the power company!!!!!!!!! :evil: I'm a supervisor at one and took over 100 calls yesterday the majority were faults from that area but also Morrinsville, Te Aroha, all over. Out of all those calls only had one really bad patronising annoying irrational customer. Well I'd suggest you stick with whatever company you are with PETEYPLECO Monaro1 because we don't pay out for any losses unless it was our fault, e.g we disconnected you by accident. The recent storm is classified by United Networks (the lines company for Auckland and Wellington) as a Force Majeure event, that is, due to severe weather conditions causing outages beyond anyone's control, therefore no payouts at least from the network co. We would advise you to consult your insurance company. Supply cannot be guaranteed 100% of the time. Interesting that i'm saying this yet have valuable fish myself?? Indeed, well what you can do is as Monaro1 said cover your tanks with blankets and duvets to retain the heat, use polystyrene, also take hot water out of the cylinder as it stays hotter longer than your tank will as better insulated more often than not and larger volume of water (usually) too.

Glad that Waikato only has a few outages ay? Don't be complainin' about 2 hours Brian some customers went all night without it and need it for water and sewage.

I didn't think any would pay out for livestock.

Anyway, best thing to do is just cover the tanks with a blanket to keep as much heat in as possible. At this time of year it isn't a problem. Slow temperature drops aren't too bad and most fish cope. It is the filters that are the problem if too many bacteria die off - and they start to do so after 20 minutes.

Keep a close eye for signs of whitespot for the next week or 2.

well i was working at food town when the power went out and quickly called home but we were one of the lucky houses and our power stayed on.. but i did think of all the other people with out power and hot water ect im lucky i got gass heating and water and stove so if we did have a big power thing it would just be the filters i would have to worrie about

The cheap bunnings gennys are crap, but ideal for this sort of thing.

Just be sure to use a surge protector or 3 on the output for when the govener dies and it revs up to 350 volts.

The big problem I have is the fuel storage since its 2 stroke I would either have to mix when I add fuel or have some pre-mixed stuff sitting around going stale with nothing else but a weedeater to put it in.

They don't pay out as far as I know. Ring them up awhile ago when there was a power cut letting them know that I have live fishes worth more than $15000.00 and they need power to survive. I was told that they will not be responsible for any death.

The insurance don't cover either.

Luckily for me none of my discus die after 8 hrs without power. All the canister filter didn't make it :evil:

Are there any steps us FISHO's can take when the power eventually comes back on - maybe do a 10 - 15 % water change? ( as the water would be quite stale with fish waste )

What about the filter bacteria - would it be better to tip filter water out and refill with tank water? When my power came back on all manner of goop came out of the filter and into the tank (possibly dead bacteria?).

Will my tank now go "out of cycle"?

And why would I have to be on the look out for white spot?

WHY :-? WHY :-? WHY :-?

Hey Petey, definitely a good idea to do a water change as large as you can as the ammonia levels will start to rise in the tank because the filter is no longer converting into nitrate (which is safe chemical unless at really high levels). The white spot often happens from temperature swings, it stresses the fish and makes them susceptible to disease and white spot is easily caught because it's present in most tanks anyway but healthy fish don't usually pick it up. Rising ammonia will also stress them out and can cause them to catch it. You can get battery opereated units called UPS (I think from Dick Smith?) which will keep some of your appliances on for a short time (depending on their wattage of course as to how long it lasts, e.g cannister filter won't last as long as an air pump). The bacteria die more from lack of oxygen than temperature as it cools slowly. If you have a cannister you even do water changes on that to keep the O2 up. Be wary though if you put in water too cold it kills off large numbers of bacteria.