Raise PH ?

PETEYPLECO

I have guesstimated that the average PH for my collection of different species in my tank should be 7. The tank has been consistantly at PH 6.6 for two or three months dispite adding "proper ph 7.0" at recommended dose with no change. Is this because I am running my filter with carbon and it is removing the chemicals?

Am being over concerned and its just my tanks natural environment at PH 6.6 as my fish seem okay and happy?

I wouldn't worry about the p.h. 6.6 should be fine, most fish have a reasonable tolerance and so long as it isn't going through large changes it should be ok.

You can take the carbon out, it probably has absorbed most of the p.h. plus, usually the carbon only lasts a month or so and most will only use it to filter out meds they have used.

I wouldn't worry about adding p.h. 7.0 either, leave it for a week or so and then check to make sure it hasn't fluctuated to much.

HTH

Shane

if you really do want it at seven you can add sea shells/ calciferous decor. they normally dont raise the ph too much but do keep an eye on it.

im not sure what bird grit is made of but i think it would just be used because it could hold alot of bacteria?

if you really do want it at seven you can add sea shells/ calciferous decor. they normally dont raise the ph too much but do keep an eye on it.

im not sure what bird grit is made of but i think it would just be used because it could hold alot of bacteria?

It doesn't hold a significant amount of bacteria. It's made of crushed oyster shells.

Just as an additional point I checked my tap water's PH lastnight while doing a water change and it was PH 7.6. After topping up my tank the tank ph is still way low (6.2 due to power cut for 7 1/2 hours and water quality has dropped) go figure?

I drained 30 ltrs from 160 +/- refilled tank with tap water with water ager added and tested ph in tank straight away = ph 6.2.

What makes the ph change so much imediatly after refilling the tank?

I thought it would increase the ph by topping up the tank up with water with a ph of 7.6?

:-?

Hi tanksman, I have a piece of wood for my pleco.

I was told birdgrit for raising ph but I am unsure of where to put it and for how long - permanant or just to get ph up and does it just keep raising the ph through the roof?

Silly question but where do you get oyster shells from?

I have an airstone which I turned way down last week but had to increase it due to long power cut and I was hoping I could get some extra air into my filter as many bacteria had died - I will turn down again tonight.

Good point Tanksman, bogwood definitely makes the water more acidic.

I used to have the same problem in my 60L tank as I had bogwood for my plec, it was never too much of a problem though and as long as it didn't get too acidic, most fish were fine.

I would just recommend doing 25% water changes everyday until it gets closer to 7 and then just monitor it every few days to make sure it doesn't creep up too much, but if your fish don't look sick I wouldn't worry about having the perfect PH, different fish prefer different levels of PH anyway.

Happy fishkeeping :D

Yeah good point - ph 6.2 is not necessarily a bad thing - You could get some discus petey - Make sure your filter is cycled first though and do heaps of reading to see if your setup suits discus as its alot of money and stress if they start dying. Plenty of fish that enjoy acidic conditions though - Not many that like sudden changes in ph though so be careful if you do muck around with it. Oyster grit is available at petshops and garden centres - you could put it in your filter if there is space - external canister filters are great for this - or you could put it over the bottom of the tanlk like sand if you can tolerate the look - personally its not a look I like. Also the oyster shell will buffer the ph at around 7.5 - 8 0- it doesnot go up and up and up - it makes the ph more stable... Ammmonia and nitrite are apparently more toxic at higher ph so again be careful - How do you be careful - use a water test kit - and add stuff to your tank slowly if it is needed at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been well over a week now and still no change in PH - now 6.6. I even tried adding a smallish dose of bi carb soda to give things a boost. The only thing that happened is my water is now nice and cloudy because of the shell!

Must be the dambed wood in my tank keeping PH low?

I think Ill just give up and surrender to have it at 6.6.

Most people forget that pH is minus the log of the hydrogen ion concentration, which put simply means that if it takes one drop of acid to change the pH from 7 to 6, it will take 10 drops to change from 6 to 5. If I remember correctly Coca Cola has a pH of 4.6. If you wish to alter pH and it is around 7 you are dealing with very minor changes and you will be changing it forever. As was said earlier most fish will tolerate a reasonable range, but what they don't like is frequent changes, it needs to be very gradual. I would go with previous advice and get rid of the carbon and put in a bit of bird grit (oyster shell --calcium carbonate) then keep your hands in your pockets and watch and enjoy.