Vortech powerheads

Doc Holiday

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Out of the box it has a speed control, allowing you to adjust the flow to your desire. There will be a completely programmable controller which will control as many as 10 pumps simultaneously. This is our first priority after the pumps are released and is already in the works. We expect to release the controller within 6-8 months following the pumps.

it was the progammable controller that i was thinking about that comes out after the pumps

How does the power consumption/flow compare against a stream? Just wondered if it needs some more power to get sufficient magnetic feild through the glass thickness?

That's I very good point. It's the first thing I wondered when I saw them.

I bit of background on motors (in general).

There is always a gap between the rotor (motor shaft) and the stator (motor body), the smaller this gap between them, the more efficient the motor (smaller gaps mean tighter tolerances and more expensive motor).

The strength magnetic field which hits the rotor from the stator is determined by the gap between them, and the "relative permeability" of the material. In the case of the streams, the water between the rotor and stator has a relative permeability of around 80. In the case of the vortex, glass has one of 7.

This means that water is 11 times better at responding to an applied magnetic field than glass.

So with the vortex, you have a larger gap, and a lower permeability between the rotor and stator, which I think must result in much lower efficiency than streams.

Who knows, they may have come up with a more efficient propeller to compensate?

Layton