Vortech powerheads

Doc Holiday

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are these really a better option than the streams? I say "better" since I would assume that they would be given that the expected price (as stated by Reef) is going to be more.

From the video, they appear to be only marginally smaller than the streams, which is what I gather is the main selling point along with the lack of wires in the tank. Are there other benefits that I am missing, which would warrant paying a higher price than the streams (which people already seem to bitch about constantly).

The main concern that I have (as already stated) is that the flexibility seems to be less, i.e. the angles of swivel for directional flow. This is one of the complaints that I had of the original configuration of the streams when using the magnets and it seems like the vortex will actually be less.

Apparently, the new streams come with a longer pivot arm, but unfortunately I only have the older version. Does anyone have the newer black units?

There are concerns of reliability with the vortex due to it being a new product as well as speculation of less efficiency.

Hmmm...

We will have to wait and see when the vortech comes out,

I noticed that the stream come out with a new seivell for better directional flow.

will see if i can get new ones to replace the old version. hopefully they will be cheap to replace.

• 5 months later...

Installed 3 vortech pumps on the weekend.

Nice looking pumps. After switching them on the tank looks like a washing machine. great current.

Bit worried about the sound but starting to live with it. They do a nice job and i only have 3. did not have to put in the 4th.

Dont ask how much as

here are some pics.

vortech.jpg

vortech1.jpg

Sure is more flow, but different type. The streams are more directional with a small v. The vortech starts off really with a big V and is more even spread.

You need less vortech pumps to get the same flow from the streams.

Might be able to do the same with the streams if you cut off the front tube.

who needs closed loops that could leak

predominantely those that want good flow near the bottom of their tank, thats who. theres a place for closed loops, as there is a place for streams or vortechs or any other method of water flow for that reason.