Vortech powerheads

Doc Holiday

predominantely those that want good flow near the bottom of their tank, thats who. theres a place for closed loops, as there is a place for streams or vortechs or any other method of water flow for that reason

you forgot the seio

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres a place for closed loops, as there is a place for streams or vortechs or any other method of water flow for that reason.

Great advice from a novice. this is a vortech post so if you want to discuss other methods start your own post.

Great advice from a novice. this is a vortech post so if you want to discuss other methods start your own post

:roll:

who needs closed loops that could leak

seems like you opened it up for discussion/debate reef? perhaps you need to keep on topic yourself.

oh, and just for your reference reef, here's the forum guidelines again.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?p=39677

you might want to pay attention to the following...

Posts that are not respectful of other members are not welcome here.

Posts with the intent of “creating a reaction†are not welcome here

oh, and just for your reference reef, here's the forum guidelines again.

Well you put down a stupid comment about closed loops about 1 day latter to create a reaction.

quote="chimera"]Quote:

hmmm, maybe i might parallel import a few of those vortechs MUCH cheaper from overseas myself...

go ahead ,who cares what you want to do. another statement to create a reaction

:lol: yet another on this forum who make a mockery of others and a fool of themselves.

1. its quite clear how a vortech works, its not rocket science and clearly another remark by yourself to spark a reaction

2. at no point did i post to create a reaction, i posted in debate to you undermining closed loops which i happen to disagree with.

3. i initially agreed that the vortech is clearly a very awesome device and am quite interested in them myself, at no point did i discredit them

im not interested in bringing this forum down like has been done on previous occasions so i'll leave it at that

reef sorry if this is a repeat question...how much flow is the vortech and how many times tank volume are you aiming for in your tank? also can you elucidate a bit more on the increased noise levels? ta

I think the flow is about 15000L/H. It is a a soft sort of flow. the water comes out wide so it does not direct the water in one direction like a powerhead or stream.

The noise is like a propeller sound. you have to listen for yourselve.

All in all with all the other tank noise it is not that bad.

The pump gets hot like cup of coffee. but having the pumps outside means no heat in the tank.

how big is the pump 50mm??? as in the hight or bigger the bit that sits on the outside

its about the same size as a stream, except some of the pump is on the outside of the tank.

Photos should give you a good idea of size.

• 7 months later...

VorTech-propeller-pump.jpg

Update on my vortech pumps.

Its been over 8 months since these have been out and finally after getting more replacements parts these things are working 100%

Soon the new wireless controller is going to be out so it will be pretty interesting to see what it can do.

Still running 3 vortech on my 2000L tank and thats seems to be all i really need as they do move more water than the 6100 streams.

Noise factor also has dropped with the changes which is a plus.

Are these really a better option than the streams? I say "better" since I would assume that they would be given that the expected price (as stated by Reef) is going to be more.

From the video, they appear to be only marginally smaller than the streams, which is what I gather is the main selling point along with the lack of wires in the tank. Are there other benefits that I am missing, which would warrant paying a higher price than the streams (which people already seem to bitch about constantly).

The main concern that I have (as already stated) is that the flexibility seems to be less, i.e. the angles of swivel for directional flow. This is one of the complaints that I had of the original configuration of the streams when using the magnets and it seems like the vortex will actually be less.

Apparently, the new streams come with a longer pivot arm, but unfortunately I only have the older version. Does anyone have the newer black units?

There are concerns of reliability with the vortex due to it being a new product as well as speculation of less efficiency.

i can answer that now.

The vortech give more flow and it is very wide, i really doubt you have to swivel them or really need them on a controller as the current is very random.

can say if they are better than a stream as both have good points.

yes vortech pumps have had problems over the year however things are improving and most changes are free.

what i like is the small foor print inside the tank and the wireless controller will be a real plus when they come out.

I am sure you will see copies soon but like most products you pay for what you get.

• 7 months later...